Shiva's meditation

Once Rishi Durvasa asked Shiva, “ You are Chittasavguna (Meaning- you know all states of mind). There is nothing that you oh Mahadeva do not know. Then why do you meditate? What knowledge is left for you to know?

Shiva smiled and replied, “ I meditate because I dont know everything. Knowledge is infinite and can never be completely understood. That is why I meditate.”

Durvasa didnt believe this and said, “What Knowledge is left for you to learn!“

Shiva replied, “Go to Vrindavan and after you see what’s going on there come back to me.”

Durvasa went to Vrindavan and yes saw this beautiful boy with a charming smile and a flute. He saw that just by listening to his flute music Gopi’s, deer, monkeys, peacocks all surrounded him. Rishi Durvasa who himself was an angry sage was mesmerized. Durvasa went back to Kailash and told Shiva what he saw.

He said, “ I saw a Gopal ( the person who takes care of cows) . He plays the flute but what is special about him. He is just a beautiful child who attracts everyone. Why would you meditate on him.”

Shiva smiled and replied, “ if you look at him with ‘Ahankar’ you will see ‘Aham’ but if you look at him with ‘Prema’ you will see ‘Brahm’(by Brahm not Brahma the creator he meant ParaBrahma the supreme one). That Gopala is Shri Krishna himself who is Narayana.

His Leelas are the infinite knowledge which I try to understand. It is he who I meditate on because how much ever I meditate it is not possible to understand his infinite Leelas.”

Thats when Shiva says, “ Aradhanam Sarvesham Govindam Aradhanam Param”

which means ,” worship of Govinda or Shri Krishna is supreme.”