Chapter 1

Seonghwa's POV

    Wiping away the sweat from my forehead while cleaning the floor with a toothbrush were the easiest things I had been assigned to ever do.

    I had been given worst tasks before, like when I've been asked to go and catch pigeons because they kept pooping on the windows, which left me with a permanent trauma of bird poop.

    Shuddering at the thought, I focused on the task at hand and realised that I already finished scrubbing the living room. My knees were hurting, after all the kneeling I did, so a break was well deserved. I made my way to the kitchen, after placing the cleaning tools in its place.

    Looking at the clock, I saw that it was 12 in the afternoon, the moment when my stepbrothers will come to ask for food.

Yes, stepbrothers, even if it's hard to believe.

    After Mom's death, Dad had become quite distant, only greeting me when he was supposed to, avoiding eye contact the whole time and barely smiling around me. He became more involved with work and that led to working late at night. But he still cared for me: cooking for me, making sure I was doing alright in school, celebrating my birthday with a cake even though he won't eat any of it.

    There would be rare moments when he would smile just like when mom was alive, and I'll always cherish them in my heart, but he went behind my back and married my now stepmom when I explained to him that I really didn't want to have another parent after a year of mom's death. And took the opportunity to go into as many business trips as possible, leaving me to bond with her.

     My stepmother, Evelyn, was alright in the beginning when dad was around, but now she is insufferable. Nothing new really, after I overheard her conversation with her sons, named Yeosang and Wooyoung, mentioning to behave so that they could inherit his wealth. All the hard work my dad spent had paid off, making him quite rich, and this woman had it out for me since day one, as I was threatening to get all the riches.

    At least once Evelyn wasn't around, the two brothers were great to be around. If mischief was a person, Wooyoung would be them. The guy always wanted to piss me or Yeosang off; always pranking us at any occasion. Yeosang was calm compared to his brother, but his remarks were so savage. They weren't evil, they just didn't want to suffer from their mother's consequences if they didn't follow her command.

    My thought got interrupted by the sound of footsteps running down the stairs, and I quickly finished the few sandwiches I was making.

Speak of the devil, they're coming.

Yeosang was currently shouting at the top of his lungs, while chasing Wooyoung around.

Like every single day.

'Hyung! Help me", Wooyoung cried out.

    Ignoring the cry for help, I walked to the sink to wash the dishes I used, while Wooyoung came into the kitchen gripping on my shirt, using me as a shield to avoid Yeosang's hits.

"Who wants to help me clean the bathroom floor and the kitchen cupboards?", I asked, trying to break up the fight.

Their chase comes to a halt, they look at me and neither of them answer back. I sighed and said:

"There would be a reward"

    Both quickly went to grab the extra tools to start cleaning, arguing on who would have to clean the toilet, and I knew that they will soon need to use a simple solution for the problem: rock paper scissor.