Chapter 7

"Idiots!" Sherlock exclaims, slamming his bedroom door angrily. "I can't believe how much of an idiot the police are!"

"I know!" Elizabeth groans, plopping onto his bed. "And we can't do anything about this because we're just kids."

"We only just started High School, for God's sake! We are basically adults now." Sherlock sulks, lying down next to his best friend.

"No, we're not." Elizabeth said, looking at him in the corner of her eye. "Until we're eighteen, we are just merely adults in a kid body."

"Basically a prodigy."

"Basically."

They look at each other's blank faces, before they crack a grin and start laughing quietly.

* **

"So," Sherlock's mum said at dinner. "I heard that you two went to the police today."

"We were trying to get them to investigate on Carl Power's death." Sherlock explains, playing with his food.

"It was a murder, but the police wouldn't listen to us." Elizabeth adds, frowning down at her food.

"Just because we're kids." Sherlock mutters darkly, stabbing his steak. The parents glance at each other amused and worried, before turning to the two only kids at the table. Mycroft has left home, to go to university. So it is just Sherlock, and Elizabeth when she visits - which is basically everyday.

"Maybe when you two are old enough, you can investigate it." the mother tells them gently.

"Why can't we investigate it now?" the two kids complain.

"Well for starters," Sherlock's father starts. "You two are -"

"Just kids." the kids finish his sentence glumly.

"There is little things you can do as kids to investigate these crimes." the father continues.

"Well then, supervise us!" Elizabeth suggests.

"Yes!" Sherlock agrees. "Come and supervise us!"

"Now, now," his mother said. "You know very well that we can't do that. We have important stuff to do."

"Like what?" Sherlock sulks.

"Like, paying the bills, doing our jobs -" his father starts.

"Looking after you lot." his mother finishes.

"Even me?" Elizabeth says shocked.

"Yes, you." Sherlock's mother nods. "You are like a daughter to us."

"Oh...wow." Elizabeth breathes quietly, staring down at her food. Sherlock grins down at her, giving her a small hug to the side. "Thank you, for thinking about me as a daughter."

"You are welcome dear," Sherlock's mother said with a smile. "Come on, your dinner is going to get cold."

So they ate like a family for the rest of the night, excluding Mycroft Holmes who is at university.

***

Elizabeth walks into her home grudgingly, and sees her parents looking at her angry. "Where were you?" her mother yells. "We didn't get our dinner!"

"And you didn't order pizza or anything?" Elizabeth asks them. "I know you guys are lazy, but the phone is just right there."

SLAP!

Elizabeth's head flicks to the side when her father slapped her. "You do not talk to us like that!" he hisses. "You ungrateful, little -"

"Don't even finish that sentence!" a voice hisses from behind Elizabeth. Elizabeth turns around quickly, seeing Sherlock glaring at her parents menacingly.

"Who are you?" her mother asks him.

"And how do you even know this tramp?" her father adds.

THWACK!

Elizabeth's father falls to the ground with a bloody nose. "Do not talk about your daughter like that!" Sherlock yells at them. "She is a very intelligent woman, far more smarter than you! And she has been nothing but kind to you! If I ever hear you talk to her like that -"

"William," Elizabeth interrupts him. "I think they get it."

"You're living with me." Sherlock said. "Get your bags."

"Gladly." she mutters quietly, racing upstairs.