Chapter 9

"Come on, William! We're gonna be late!" Mrs Holmes calls out from the living room, waiting impatiently for her son. It is Sherlock and Elizabeth's graduation, and they were running 'late' because of Sherlock. Ever since that night when Elizabeth stayed with the Holmes, everything was fine. Sherlock had realised when they had said goodnight, Elizabeth had said 'Sherlock' instead of 'William'. He deduced she says 'Sherlock' when they are under pressure or stress.

"Hang on, I'm almost done!" Sherlock calls back to his mother. She huffs frustrated, making her husband and Elizabeth chuckle slightly.

"I swear, Sherlock is more girly than you are." Mrs Holmes states.

"Since when am I ever girly?" Elizabeth retorts, leaning back on the sofa.

"Don't slouch! You'll make crinkles on your dress!" Mrs Holmes scolds, making Elizabeth grimace.

"I don't care about this dress. So what if it has wrinkles. . ."

"Oh, shush now." Mrs Holmes says half seriously. Elizabeth is wearing a lilac dress that went to her knees, with silver flats. Her hair's up in a bun, some strands of hair left out curled, hanging around her face. Mrs Holmes also made her sit down so she could do make up, much to her dismay. The mother-figure to Elizabeth had placed blue eye-shadow on her, some blush, and red lipstick. Elizabeth is thankful that is is only three things on her face.

"What is taking William so long?" Elizabeth wonders, staring into space.

"I don't know -" Mrs Holmes starts to say.

"Here I am!" Sherlock bounds down the stairs, all dressed up. He wears a suit with a tie, his jacket left open. His curls were all over the place, yet it suited him. Hanging from his arm is a large trench coat and scarf he's gonna wear when out in the cold. "Sorry, I had to find something before we left."

"Aw, look at you!" Mrs Holmes coos, walking towards him. "All dressed up like a gentleman you are not really. My boy is growing up!"

"Now, now dear." Mr Holmes chuckles, walking up to an emotional Holmes. "Leave the waterworks for the show."

"Yes mother," Sherlock mutters, pulling away from her. "Leave it until we are out in the public, where you can cry with other mothers."

"Come on," Elizabeth says impatiently. "Didn't you want to arrive early? We have ten minutes and forty-five seconds left if you want to be early."

"Is Mycroft coming?" Sherlock asks his parents hopefully. The parents look at him sadly, making him lose his hopeful look. "Nevermind," Sherlock mutters. "He's too busy for little things."

"Let's take a picture of you two!" Mr Holmes exclaims, trying to defuse the tension. It worked. . .for Sherlock's mother.

"Oh! Yes!" she cheered, pushing Elizabeth towards her son.

"Eight minutes and twenty-seven seconds." the two kids said in unison.

"Say cheese!" Mrs Holmes cheers, holding the camera up towards them.

"Cheese." they said in a monotone, straight face. Mrs Holmes glares at them, making them put a fake smile on.

"Come on, make it look more real." Mr Holmes exclaims.

"How?" Elizabeth murmurs.

"Think of someone you care for?" Sherlock suggests. Elizabeth nods, thinking of someone she cares about. Wasn't that hard, she immediately thought of Sherlock. The way he pays all of his attention to her, the way he gives her his rare smiles, how he only lets her loop her arm through his. . .

"That's more like it!" Mrs Holmes grins, seeing Elizabeth's small rare smile. Sherlock looks to his left, and sees her rare smile. Who is the person she thinks about? Sherlock wonders. Nonetheless, the way she smiles a small shy smile, it sent him smiling as well. A flash goes off, snapping them out of their thoughts.

"Aw, you two were just adorable!" Mrs Holmes exclaims, bringing them into a hug again.

"Five minutes and ten seconds left." the kids said.

"Well then, let's go!" Mr Holmes declares, motioning them outside.

***

"I gotta say," Elizabeth says, looking around at the school hall. They finished their ceremony, and are now at the after party. "These High School years were all right. Apart from the bullying obviously, but it was all right."

"It was." Sherlock agrees. "And during all that we became closer."

"Yes, we did." Elizabeth murmurs, looking down at her punch in her hands.

"Who was it?" Sherlock asks her finally. "Who was it that made you smile a real smile?"

"You." Elizabeth says after a couple of minutes of silence. "I thought of you." Elizabeth puts down her cup of punch and faces him with a serious look. "Listen, I am not used to these kind of stuff and you aren't as well, but apparently. . .I express my feelings to you."

"I might as well." Sherlock adds, shocking her.

"William. . .ever since that conversation we had that night when you had followed me that night, I started to feel more attraction to you. Obviously, I tried to stop it since you're my best friend, but I couldn't help but to. . .fall in love with you." Sherlock stares at the girl in shock, not saying anything. Elizabeth looks around uncomfortable. "So if you want me to leave, I am happy to leave your -"

"I love you too." Sherlock said immediately.

"What?" Elizabeth exclaims, thinking she didn't hear properly.

"I. . .Love. . .You. . .Too." Sherlock repeated, slower. "What you said and felt, I feel the same way."

They stay in silence, staring at each other in the eyes. Everything around them froze, the only thing they notice is each other.

"So, what now?" Elizabeth whispers, gazing into his eyes.

"Well," he whispers back, never breaking their gaze. "We can be normal, and be in a relationship, or just pretend nothing ever happened between us -"

"But if we choose that last one," Elizabeth cuts off. "It is a big possibility that our friendship will never be the same, knowing what happened this night."

"We can just delete it from our mind."

"But do you really want to delete this forever?" Elizabeth waits for his answer, holding her breath in anticipation. Sherlock looks away finally, thinking it over. Does he really want to delete this? He has surprisingly been waiting for this moment to express his feelings, and hoping for her to return the feelings. Does he really want to delete this? Perks of being not normal. . .

"No." Sherlock finally says, turning his eyes back to the beauty in front of him. He then did something none of them expected him to do. He grabbed her around the waist, pulling her closer, crashing his lips onto hers. Elizabeth freezes in shock, her arms at her sides, when finally her mind clicked back to normal and she kisses him back, wrapping her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.

This is by far, their best night of their life. . .and one hell of an adventure for the future.