Mercenaries

‘It’s suspicious.’

My instinctive intuition said that there was something about that wizard.

I took advantage of the break in the conversation between the duchess and Duke Angellus and quickly intervened.

“It’s my first time seeing the person behind you. Is this person a wizard?” I asked with overly sparkling eyes, as if I had never seen a wizard before in my life.

Hoping to look like a naïve lady who knows nothing of the world.

Duke Angellus smiled benevolently and answered, “Miss Elodie. Yes, this is a wizard recently hired by our family.”

“I see. It’s my first time seeing a wizard this close, so I may have been a bit rude.”

“You don’t need to excuse yourself. If you’re curious, you can ask, hehehe.”

I could feel Jansi staring at me carefully, but pretending not to notice, I smiled at Duke Angellus.

I was also horrified by my pretentious behavior, but I couldn’t help it. Sometimes appearing easy can be your sharpest weapon.

The goal was to find out about the wizard’s identity.

“I think magic is more wonderful because it is different from power! Then um…, may I ask which magic tower you belong to?”

Our eyes met. This time the wizard didn’t avoid my eyes.

Tired and blank looking eyes stared at me.

He looked so indifferent that I had no idea what he was thinking.

Soon the man opened his mouth.

“I don’t want to reveal my affiliation to a stranger.”

“What are you saying? Do you want to di-!”

Carlot, in a fit of fuss, kicked off his seat and tried to get up, but the duchess stopped him by stomping on his feet.

“Ugh! Mother!”

While Carlot shouted, the wizard left the restaurant.

“Oh, my. My guest made a mistake with Miss Elodie. Miss Elodie, who is generous and kind will understand, right?” Duke Angellus said with an awkward smile on his face, pretending to be sorry.

“Of course.”

“Then next time, I’ll see you at the temple of Ishtar. See you on the day of the meeting.”

Duke Angellus hurriedly followed the wizard out of the restaurant after nodding his head to the duke and the duchess.

I watched his back carefully.

‘The mage is the one hired by the duke, so why is the duke groveling like that?’

Duke Angellus was not in a position to bow his head to someone.

But I couldn’t get myself into deep thoughts. This was because both Carlot’s eyes had begun to burn and he started to run wild.