Chapter 21 - Secrets told

I find myself watching Jane once again, i havent been able to concentrate much, knowing Mike was the one in whom she found comfort. As long as she is happy, it should be fine, right? Then why do i feel this intense discomfort sitting on my chest by watching them together.

"Dont forget to close your mouth, your saliva is running out of your mouth" i turn to see Lucas Allistair talking to me.

"What do you mean?" i reply a little more cold than I expected, not showing my confusion.

"Nothing" he chuckles as he takes a water bottle from the counter, i continue resting my arm on the counter, i stopped watching Jane. But the image of her is still lingering on my mind. We have stayed in this rotten cabin for too long. Zane meant it would be better to arrive at the camp 2 to 3 days after the radio announcement, So i expect us to drive off soon. We haven't seen any walkers in all the time we've spent in the cabin, but it doesn't mean that we haven't been cautious.

"Can you help pack?" Zane asks me

I move closer to him and take the various bottles and canned food, and stuff them in one of our bags.

Zane and I work together to gather the essentials, trying to create a sense of normalcy amidst the chaos that had become our lives, Lucas joins us. The clinking of canned food, and the zip of the bags that offer brief moments of respite from the overwhelming reality.

As we work in silence, I can't help but steal glances in Jane's direction. She seems lost in thought, occasionally sharing a quiet conversation with Mike, a smile playing at the corners of her lips. I try to shake off the gnawing irritation, reminding myself that her happiness is what matters most.

Zane clears his throat, snapping me back to reality. "You seem a bit distracted lately," he observes, his eyes filled with concern.

I offer a half-hearted smile. "Just thinking, you know. About everything that's happened."

Zane nods in understanding, his face reflecting the weight of our shared experiences. It's a connection born from necessity and strengthened by the trials we've faced. Zane and i used to sneak around when we were younger, and also stealing booze from his parents.

Our task of packing continues as we put the last of the essentials into bags. The atmosphere in the cabin is both heavy and hopeful. Despite the circumstances, it's impossible to escape the sadness that has befallen us, who had lost Diana and Nick Seymour, so recently. Their memory lingers in our minds, a reminder of happier times before this new world took them away.

Jane moves quietly and thoughtfully as she deals with the personal items. She carefully tucks away a family photo, a cherished heirloom that connects her to the world before it changed. I can see the pain in her eyes, masked by the strength she's been forced to show.

Lucas heads outside to update the others on our progress, and I take a moment to approach Jane gently. She glances at me, her eyes filled with a mix of emotions. "Are you okay?" I ask softly, first time since we left the seymours home, have i talked to her.

Jane takes a deep breath before responding. "It's hard."

My heart aches for her, and I offer a reassuring smile. Happy that she despises me a little less.

i move out, to see Noah and his mother, June, hard-workingly load everything into the stolen red car, i move past them to reach my car, opening the trunk, also getting ready for us to leave. Everybody but Joel is outside right now, lending a hand, packing the bags. Relief washes over me as i realise we will soon reach a safe place, where Jane and Joel will be safe.

"Jane could you get my backpack from inside" Mike requests as he is busy helping Noah.

"Sure" she walks back into the cabin.

*****

minutes pass, longer than it should have to get a backpack, but there is Jane, face red, papers crumbled in her hand, and she is approaching Mike with fast speed.

"Explain this" she shouts, and she pushes the paper with her palm into Mikes chest, my attention fully caught now, so i move closer, the same with the others.

Jane seems to wait for Mike to respond but he doesnt, so instead Jane continues.

"I told you, they will use light as something bad"

light? everybody seems equally confused, everyone but Zane, whose face goes from confusion to understanding.

"You" Jane pauses "You are the reason, my parents are dead"

Mike stands still, holding the paper. "No Jane" he continues "You are the reason your parents are dead. if you didnt create this virus, nothing of this would have happened"

Janes face goes from angry to sad in mere seconds, but the anger is taking over fast again.

"I am done blaming myself. Mike this was your doing, you sold light, and for what, money" she yells. i notice on everybody else that they have started to understand.

Jane created the virus, and even though her best efforts to keep it at bay, the virus got out because of the idiot in front of us.

Lucas approaches, he has been the one who takes great responsibility between us all. "I think you should leave" Lucas says with a warning look to Mike.

"No way, im not letting an old man, tell me what to do" Mike snaps at him, and takes a step closer to Jane, touching her arm.

"You will not touch her again" Lucas says with an aggressive tone.

"Again?" Zane asks, and my heart skips a beat.

"What do you mean again?" i sound demanding.

Lucas looks at Jane. expecting her to talk, but she just looks frozen. so Lucas starts speaking. "Our friend here was persistent in getting Janes attention the other day" he pauses "if it wasnt for me, im sure he would have tried raping her".

My face heats up, my jaw and knuckles stiffen, i hear ringing in my ears, and before im able to control myself, i am on top of Mike, punching him repeatedly.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

Word count : 1020

By night-ed

Book one : Untold Story

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽