Chapter 28 - A night at his side

The dim glow of the nurse station's lanterns casts a soothing ambiance as the night blankets the camp. I've chosen to stay by Thomas's side, not ready to leave him alone with his injuries.

As I sit in thechair, I catch a glimpse of the moonlight filtering through the canvas of the tent. The soft rustle of the wind outside is a stark contrast to the chaos we've come to associate with this world. Here, in the relative calm of the nurse station, I find a temporary refuge.

Thomas's face bears the pain of his injuries, but he's in stable condition. He's propped up on the bed, and we share a glance that speaks volumes. Despite the dire circumstances, a shared sense of humor has always been a hallmark of our relationship. So, it's no surprise when he breaks the silence with a grin.

"You know," he begins, his voice lighthearted, "if I knew getting a night with you was this easy, I would've injured myself a long time ago."

I can't help but chuckle at his jest. His words are like a balm, soothing the raw edges of worry that have been a constant companion. "You've always had a talent for dramatics," I tease, offering a playful roll of my eyes.

Thomas feigns an exaggerated gasp, clutching his chest as if deeply wounded. "You wound me with your words."

The banter continues, our shared humor an oasis in a world fraught with danger. We joke and jest, casting aside the looming shadows of uncertainty that hang over us. In this small, fragile moment, it feels like the two of us against the world, just as it's always been.

As the night unfolds, laughter mingles with the whispers of the wind outside, creating a symphony of solace in the midst of chaos. Here in the nurse station, with Thomas at my side, we find a temporary respite from the harsh realities of our existence.

"Jane, you know" he pauses "i really care about you" his voice soft

"of course i do"

"No jane, i really care about you"

I smile, "I care about you too Tommy" i continue "You should really get some sleep now"

i get up to turn of the light, and make my bed on the wannabe sofa.

"You can lay here, its quite chilly tonight" he pats the space beside him. indicating we should sleep together in the small space.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

Word count : 389

By night-ed

Book one : Untold Story

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽