Chapter 25 - Finding our place

Waking up in the heart of the camp, I can already feel the anticipation in the air. The morning sun peeks through the canvas of our tent, casting a warm glow on the sleeping faces of my family. It's a welcome sight compared to the gloom of our previous journeys, a semblance of stability in these unstable times.

As we rise from our beds and prepare for the day ahead, I can sense that a collective decision is forming among us. Lucas takes the lead, his practical mindset clear as he faces the rest of us. "The earlier we find our place in this community, the better we will have it," he states with a determined look in his eyes.

The idea resonates with June, Noah, Zane, and Lucas, who swiftly make their way toward the camp's center to find Vera Thorne. Their intent is clear: to offer their help and start contributing to the community. They understand the importance of being proactive, both for their well-being and to establish ourselves within this group.

However, Thomas and I hesitate, sharing an unspoken concern. We're not entirely sure where we fit in, how we can be of most help. The past has left its mark, and the future remains uncertain. With a glance at Thomas, I can see the questions in his eyes mirrored in my own.

As Thomas and I exchange glances, the uncertainty lingers. Our place in this community remains undefined, our purpose unclear. With each step forward, we move closer to the unknown, leaving behind the comfort of the familiar, and embracing a future that is still unfolding.

Thomas's gaze lingers on mine, and I can't help but feel the intensity of his presence. It's as if the air around us crackles with unspoken tension. His eyes, those deep, enigmatic pools of green, hold a secret that dances just beneath the surface. I catch a subtle quirk of his lips, a half-smile that hints at something more.

As we walk among the tents and the bustling activity of the camp, the proximity between us heightens the awareness of one another. Every accidental brush of our hands, every stolen moment of contact, sends a jolt of electricity through my veins. The heat between us is palpable, an unspoken desire that simmers beneath the surface.

In this moment, the uncharted territory of our feelings is as vast and uncertain as the world beyond the camp's boundaries. As our eyes meet again, a silent understanding passes between us. We may be walking into the unknown, but one thing is crystal clear — the attraction that courses between us is undeniable, and the tension between our hearts is poised to ignite.

"We should find our place in this community" I manage to say as my heart skips a beat, i look into his eyes.

"I dont know Jane, this place seems too good to be true"

"What do you mean?"

"so many people, not that quiet i might add, its just a question of time, before a horde of walkers will come"

"A horde?" i question.

"Yeah 5 walkers are loud, that will attract more. the more walkers, the bigger the growth of the horde"

"they have weapons and fences" I state, but i still understand his concern.

"at some point it will be too many, then what do we do?" he steps closer, glancing at my eyes.

i look at him and down at his lips, the sudden urge to touch them with mine comes.

"Are you thinking of something?" he says with a grin, and i can feel a sudden heat spreading on my cheeks.

"Huh? No, what would i be thinking about?"

"i mean about the walkers and the safety of this community" he smirks, knowing he caught me. he leans closer, and starts to whisper "Just so you know, im always down to whatever fantasy you are having"