Chapter 20 - Tale of Tommy & Jane

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the patch of grass where Jane and I sat. I stared at my worn-out sneakers, tracing imaginary patterns with a stray stick that I had picked up earlier. I'd been in the mood to talk about my past lately, but only with Jane. She had a way of listening, understanding, and making me feel safe.

"Tommy, you've been acting strange lately," Jane said gently, her soft voice cutting through the summer afternoon's tranquility. "Is there something you want to share?"

I hesitated for a moment, then sighed and looked up at her, "You remember how I've mentioned my family troubles before?"

Jane nodded, her warm brown eyes showing empathy. "You mean your dad, right?"

I nodded, my gaze dropping back to my sneakers. "Yeah, he's... He's not a good person, Jane. He's not like your dad, who's always kind and caring."

Jane shifted closer to me and placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "I'm here for you, Tommy. You can tell me anything."

I took a deep breath and began to share, my words flowing out, which I didn't know I needed. I talked about my father's explosive anger, his inability to hold down a job, and the endless cycle of violence that had plagued my family for years. I spoke of my mother, who seemed to drift farther away with every passing day, lost in her own world of despair.

Jane listened in silence, her presence giving me comfort. As I recounted my painful past, I felt Jane's gentle embrace, her arms enveloping me in a hug that conveyed understanding, compassion, and an unspoken promise: they would face the world's challenges together. From then on, my heart was filled with warmth and comfort, whenever I was with Jane.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

Word count : 305

By night-ed

Book one : Untold Story

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽