Chapter 36 - In search

The once-familiar path back to the camp had transformed into a harrowing journey through a landscape of chaos. The hideout had provided safety and a temporary respite, but we remained incomplete, Jane nowhere to be found, scattered by the explosion that had torn apart the camp.

My determination to find Jane had only grown stronger, and I was prepared to face the dangers that awaited in the ruins of our former sanctuary. Leaving the hideout behind, I ventured forth, Jane's safety weighing heavily on my mind.

The camp, which has once been a community and security, now lay in ruins. The chaos of the explosion had taken a heavy toll, evident in the destruction.

As I made my way through the desolation, the echo of my own footsteps served as a haunting reminder of the camp's former vitality. Now, the only sounds that punctuated the silence were the distant moans of walkers and the occasional scuttling of rodents in the debris.

My heart race as I scoured the ruins for any sign of Jane. She had been in the company of General Hargrove, and their fate remained a haunting mystery. With each step I took, I was reminded of the fear that had gripped my heart when we had lost contact with her during the explosion.

The journey through the camp was fraught with danger. Walkers lurked around every corner, and I found myself dispatching them with a grim determination. It was a stark reminder of the world we lived in, where the dead walked and survival required a relentless will to endure.

After what felt like an eternity, I stumbled upon a familiar face. General Hargrove, disheveled and clearly shaken, emerged from the rubble, his eyes wide with fear. He was alone.

"General Hargrove!" I called out, my voice filled with both anger and desperation. "Where is Jane?" i shouted, not caring that it might attract walker, i want Jane back.

The general's response was swift and unwavering. "I don't know. She was at the lab"

The denial fueled my frustration, and I couldn't suppress the seething anger that rose within me. I grabbed him by the collar, my grip tight and unforgiving. "You expect me to believe that?" I demand.

General Hargrove's fear is evident in his eyes, but he maintained his innocence. "I swear, I don't know where she is. We were together, but the explosion... it separated us. I haven't seen her since."

My instincts screamed at me to unleash my pent-up rage, to strike out against the man who held answers I so desperately sought. But as I was on the brink of violence, my eyes were drawn to something else – a backpack that had been hidden among the rubble.

The sight of the backpack sent a jolt of recognition through me. It was Mike's, and I could vividly remember when Jane had held it in her hands, her expression filled with disbelief and anger as she discovered the sales agreement of the virus.

It was then that the pieces began to fall into place, like a chilling revelation. Jane's connection to Mike had put her in grave danger, and it was becoming increasingly clear that Mike might have orchestrated this chaos to get to her.

General Hargrove had seen the realization in my eyes, and the fear that had gripped him only intensified. "I don't know anything" he protested.

But I couldn't afford to waste more time on him. The need to find Jane, propelled me forward. I knew that our family's survival depended on unraveling this mystery and reuniting with Jane.

With my heart pounding and a newfound determination, I retreated from the camp's ruins and headed back to the hideout, the realization of the danger Jane faced and the betrayal by someone we had trusted weighing heavily on my mind.

At the hideout, I found Zane and urgently relayed what I had discovered. He listened intently, his expression mirroring the situation. We knew that if Mike was behind all of this, he posed a significant threat to Jane's safety. He had been crazy when we last saw him.

"We need to find her," Zane declared, his voice filled with determination.

Together, we set about piecing together the puzzle. If Mike was behind the attack on the camp, where would he take Jane? Our thoughts circled back to the Venus BioTech building, the place where this nightmare had begun.

We decided to act swiftly, to confront the threat head-on and bring Jane back to safety. As we prepared to depart, our minds were consumed with thoughts of Jane, the danger she faced, and the urgency of our mission. Little Joel was left with June and Noah, who were still grieving Lucas deeply. 

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

Word count : 778

By night-ed

Book one : Untold Story

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽