Chapter 34

We won our first game, and we won our second. However, we had some more trouble in our game against the United States, where we only managed to draw them. But that was enough to send them out of the competition and us to the knockout rounds.

In our quarterfinals Aitana scored twice, but her second goal was disallowed. But we all clearly saw it crossing the line. She walked out angry, and I knew that she deserved that goal. We celebrated together in the changing rooms, and then we celebrated back at the hotel.

"Hola cariño, I watched the game, and I am coming down to watch the semi-final together with Mapí. After that the two of us will stay to watch the final" Alexia said when I called her that evening. I was sober, I didn't like to get drunk during season and a world cup would count as that, right? "You are coming to watch me?" I asked. "Yeah, but I couldn't tell Mapí that, so we are going there to watch all of you" Alexia answered, and I could almost see the look she had on her face. I knew her that well. "Thank you, Ale," I said with a ridiculously big smile on my face.

"Who are you talking to that is making you smile that way hermana?" Aitana asked. "No one" I responded quickly while hanging up on Alexia. "Who is the lucky girl, Isa?" Aitana asked once again. "I am not telling you, but there is someone" I answered. It was a shitty answer, and I would have never accepted that. "You'll get to know later" I continued with a smile. I had the power, and she knew that. "I'm just happy to see you happy" Aitana said with a smile.

I spent the next thirty minutes talking to Aitana about Alexia, but without mentioning her name. Before I did that I sent a quick apology to Alexia, saying that Aitana walked in.

Me
Lo siento, Aitana walked in

Ale<3
No need to apologize. I wanted to tell you that you played amazing today, just like you always do

Me
Gracias Ale

Ale<3
Anything for you cariño

We all went to sleep late. It was a small party, and when it was done, we all stayed up playing some games. I beat everyone in FIFA and no one except me was happy about that.

The night was long, and I barely slept at all. Everything was hitting me, and especially the fact that I would be playing in a semi-final. Alexia would be watching with Mapí. The girl I liked would watch me play. That was not good. That was not good at all.

What should I do? Should I call in sick the day before? That would not be good. Not playing an important game and putting myself in front of the team. That was the cowardly option. I would do exactly as my coach wanted. That was the right option. I had played every single minute of every game. I was on fire, making sure that few goals got through us.

We trained hard for our next game. We went through tactics that would help in our game against France. I was ready for this game. My confidence was higher than usual.

Everything was going well until the 69th minute when Aitana got a second yellow. We were down to 10 players, and we only had a one-goal lead. In the last twenty minutes we mostly defended, and it was my chance to shine. I stopped several goals from happening and did some crucial tackles.

When the final whistle blew, we all celebrated. I was in shock that we had managed to go to the final. We had a great chance to become champions of the world. That was sick. With tears in my eyes, I accepted the POTM trophy. I had never played for individual glory, and in my speech, I made sure to thank all my teammates and how it wouldn't have been possible without them.

After that I went to talk with Alexia and Mapí. There were already several players there, like Claudia, Aitana, and Patri. I hugged Alexia tightly over the barrier before reluctantly releasing her to hug Mapí. "You played amazing Isa. Maybe you should play less good, so people like me have a chance to play in Barca" Mapí joked when I hugged her. "You know I would never do that" I answered in the same joking tone.