Chapter 49

In that summer we had the world cup. Jorge had called me up, saying that I was needed for the team's success. A turn of events since he no longer wanted me there after I rejected his advances.

I shared a room with Aitana. Jorge would never let me share a room with Alexia, not that Lluís did it either. But it was almost two months of camp, and I had never slept without her for that long. "I can't believe that I was not assigned to room with Alexia. I mean we have been together for almost a year. In a way I get it, because Jorge hates me and would never let me share a room with my girlfriend" I complained to Aitana. "Am I such a bad roommate?" Aitana jokingly asked me. "No, you are a good roommate, I will just miss sleeping with my girlfriend" I told her. "Don't talk about your sex-life. Save that for tonight" Aitana said with a big smile.

I sat down on my bed, the one closest to the door. That night Aitana and I discussed everything about me and Alexia. We talked about how great it was to have a girlfriend on the same team as me. Aitana was dating a new girl, she was quite hot, and it was the happiest she had ever been for a long while. We also talked about me and Alexia, and where our relationship was going.

The first game of the world cup was against South Africa. I was not starting. Jorge said I had been playing poorly in training, even though barely anyone got through me. I spent two hours complaining to Alexia about Jorge.

In halftime I was subbed on for Irene. We were down one goal and needed to win this if we wanted to go to the knockout stages. Alexia tapped my stomach as I entered the pitch with her. A big smile covered my face, this was the first time we would be playing in a competition for the national team.

The last half was ours. We played amazing and scored three goals in the second half. Alexia joined me as we made the rounds to say hello to all the travelling fans. Since we were in France a lot of the Spanish fans were here. It was amazing, but also exhausting after playing a game.

Our second game was against Germany, which we lost. I was not allowed to play a single minute of this game. There were several articles from various sources about why I wasn't playing. Fans were asking me as we made the rounds around the field. I just nodded along and told them to ask Jorge about it. I also told them how I respected his decision. Which I didn't, but I wanted playing time in this championship.

For our third game we faced China. It was a boring game to be honest, ending in a 0-0 draw. However, we were through to the knockout stages. I didn't play a single minute in this game either, but that didn't stop me from being happy for our team. "I think you should have been playing" Alexia whispered while pulling me in for a big hug. "I am happy to just watch you" I mumbled against her shoulder. "I would be happier to have you on the pitch with me" she mumbled back. I kissed her shoulder, and she kissed my head at the same time.

"We better hope I get some minutes in our next game" I smiled to her. Together we walked around, talking to fans and the opposition. Alexia had her arm slung around my shoulder the entire time, a very protective gesture from her side. "Possessive and domestic at the same time" Mapí laughed loudly. "Very" I smiled back, leaning further into Alexia. I felt her relax against my side, and Mapí must have seen it too, because her face displayed a vide smirk, indicating that she was in fact right.

After the shower, when we arrived at the hotel, Jorge wanted to talk to me. I was called to his temporary office, and I knew exactly what he wanted. He wanted to blame me for the tie today, and the loss the previous game, even though I didn't play.

Alexia followed me there, waiting outside and hugging me goodbye. I needed her support, and she knew I needed. "Hello there García. You probably wonder why I have called you in here. It is because of the way your actions have been affecting the team. I would prefer if you kept quiet about our conversations, it is affecting how your teammates play. If you do that, I will play you in our next game" he said. It was exactly what I thought he would say, and I couldn't say anything other than a small "okay".

"What did he say cariño?" Alexia asked when he let me out. I was not supposed to answer, it would mean I would not get any time in the next game. "Nothing important. I promise" I said before placing a small kiss on her lips. "Did he ask you not to say anything?" she whispered, making sure no one except me could hear. "I'll tell you when we get to your room" I whispered back, only loud enough for her to hear.

She led me though the rest of the hotel, her hand resting on the small of my back. Mapí was in there, and Alexia forced her say, saying that we needed to talk without anyone else hearing. She was a tiny bit disappointed that she had to leave, and that she couldn't hear what I wanted to say. "Just don't have sex in my bed" she said before closing the door. "I have my own" Alexia teased her. Mapí made some gagging sound and left Alexia and I laughing unstoppably.

"I'm sorry" I whispered to her before breaking down in her arms. It had been a few hard weeks with everything going on, and her comfortable embrace was all I needed to break down. "Don't be, I am so proud of you" she said and hugged me tighter. "He wants me to not tell anyone about what he has done to me, if I keep quiet, he will play me in the game against the states. If I tell anyone there will be consequences from his side" I whispered between sobs. "I'm so sorry Isa, I can't believe that he did that" she said. Holding my body though the sobs that racked through it.

I felt like a child, sobbing in the arms of someone that I loved so dearly. "I will give him what he deserves" Alexia threatened. "You will do nothing of that sort, it will only ruin things for both you and me" I told her. Now it was my turn to act all motherly. "I can't let him treat you like that" Alexia confessed. "How about we do that after the world cup, and gather some proof before doing anything rushed?" I proposed to her. "Okay" she said in a low tone.

I kissed her softly. Her hands roamed all over my back, pushing my shirt up at the same time. "We should not go any further" I told her in a very low tone. It said more than my words did. I wanted her, but I didn't want to upset Jorge any further. I also did not want to annoy Mapí, it was pretty rude.

"I promise you that we did not have sex on your bed. We just talked; I'll tell you everything when we get back to Barcelona" I said to her with a smile. "Is everything okay with you?" she asked, as caring as usual. "Better now that I have talked to Alexia" I confessed to her. She flashed me a smile and made her way inside her room, while I walked to the room I shared with Aitana.

A few days later we were playing in the round of 16 against the US. I was starting this time, Jorge flashed me a big smile and told me to not mess this up. I didn't, Mapí gave away two penalties and there was nothing else we could do. A 1-2 loss was all we needed to be out of the tournament. Alexia was incredibly sad, and so was I. We were wrapped in a tight embrace, both blaming ourselves. "It wasn't your fault Ale" I whispered into her shoulder, making sure my mouth was not visible to any cameras. "It feels like it, I had so many chances and I couldn't even score one" she whispered back, holding back tears. "We are a team, and we win and lose as one. It isn't your fault" I told her quietly.

"It isn't your fault either Isa. Nothing about anything this tournament has been your fault. We can blame Jorge instead" she joked, making sure I felt better. We stayed closed by each other, with our fingers intertwined, or just touching each other. I needed her just as much as she needed me in that moment.

------------------------------

Remember to vote and comment!!

Updates will be posted every tuesday from now.

Wrote a poem in my writing class.. Was going to include it in one of the chapters, but it is in Swedish, so you will never read it!

------------------------------