Chapter 5

"Your Majesty, you've received another order from His Majesty." Lina tells me as I sip my morning tea.

I told him yesterday that I wouldn't come, but here he is pestering me again. It must be important if he keeps calling me. But then why doesn't he come here himself?

I sigh, placing my teacup on the saucer.

"Very well. Help me get prepared, Lina." I stand, willing the maids to do their jobs. They were hiding their excitement. I was meeting the King so it's understandable that they think our relationship is improving.

The process was long and tedious. My dress was made of lilac tulle that flowed down. Lace flowers lined around my waist with a sweetheart neckline. Its short sleeves were slightly puffed, perfect for the summer weather.

My hair was also done, intricately braided into a bun with small curls left to shape my face. A silver crown was placed on my head, I truly look like a queen right now.

Now I just need to act like one, don't give into weakness, just push forward.

I arrived at the Sun Palace, he is making me meet him in his office. The servants bow before leading me through the hall, towards the door of his office.

"Her Majesty, Queen Estella de Royalis is here." One of the servants introduces me as I enter the room.

Near the windows of the room sat a desk where he sat. A man stood next to him, most likely his aid. And another man on the right side of the room stood near the bookshelves that lined the wall.

In the middle of the room sat two couches that were facing each other.

What caught my eye is the woman standing in front of the king's desk, Madam Penning.

I curtsy in front of the king once I reach the front of the desk.

"It seems Your Majesty has finally decided to present herself. Did you rest well?" Kyrell says, his red eyes focused on me as if he is observing.

"I did, thank you for your understanding." No smile shapes my face as I speak. His aid gives me an odd look, possibly confused by my actions.

I would be too if before marriage I was doting on the king and after, I am indifferent. But I can't spare any emotion for someone who will kill me.

"Do you know why I have asked you here?" Kyrell changes the subject, leaning back in his red velvet chair. "Madam Penning has told me how you banished her from the Star Palace. That you replaced her without reason. Would you explain your actions?" His eyes narrow as if expecting me to bite. His demeanor, so powerful and unwavering.

The black strands cross into his face, darkening his face that is looking at me.

It's no wonder that he is a feared king, that no one wants to get in his way. Though I should be scared, I keep my cool even if my legs are shaking underneath the skirts of my dress.

If I don't keep calm, he will only kill me faster.

"Your Majesty, my actions did have reason. While Madam Penning was in charge of the prince's education, I did not see her as the perfect candidate for the job."

In a way this is insulting the king, but he needs to face the reality. He only cares about his son when it comes to my involvement. Other than that I have never seen him spend time with Alastair or do anything father-like.

"Your Majesty cannot get rid of the people I appointed." The King says.

Madam Penning steps forward. "It must have been a mistake, I believe we should forgive Her Majesty." She is trying to make herself look good. But it won't work.