Chapter 25

Kyrell

She danced with him and then left. I haven't seen her since. And not too long ago. He was dancing with Estella's friend.

Everything feels off today. If anything this entire week was off.

"Your Majesty! You have a letter!" A servant rushes towards the thrones where I sat.

I turned my head to him, confused as to why I needed to read it now.

"King Caelus told me to give this to you." He shakily handed me the envelope.

He disappears without a sound and then gives me a letter. What is he planning?

I rip open the letter, reading it carefully.

I'm not good with letters, as you know. So I'll get straight to the point. I kidnapped your wife and you won't be getting her back anytime soon. People needed provoking so I did. I want a war. I want all the power you can give me. Your wife interested me so I had no other choice.

This means there is no trade agreement. I will be taking over your kingdom either way, so the magic stones will be mine.

My hands crumpled the edges of the parchment.

He was being cryptic, hiding his true intent from anyone else who reads it. But he didn't discuss any of this with me.

Provoking? He is not only provoking the kingdom but as well as me.

He stole Estella from me. He should have discussed it with me before he acted. And now she is gone. I was meant to fix our relationship, turn things back around.

But it's all lost. She's gone.

Filled with anger, I slammed my fist into the throne arm. I released a loud shout, startling the guests around.

But I didn't care. He took her from me.

I stand up, searching for the knights. "Search the entire palace! The Queen has been taken by the King of Osertia!"

"What?"

"How can this be?"

"The Queen was kidnapped."

The gala filled with chatter.

"All those affiliated with Osertia will be taken under custody until the Queen is found. There will no longer be a trade agreement. Osertia has broken my trust by stealing my wife." I say over the crowd as the knights began to capture people.

It was chaos, but I was not in the mood to stop it.

Marquis Claudonia then approached me. "Your Majesty! What is the meaning of this? We cannot start a war yet." He tries to advise, anger slowly filling is face.

"Osertia has kidnapped my wife. I will no longer aid the enemy. Send out soldiers to search for your daughter." I order.

"But why would the Osertian King steal the Queen? What proof do you have?" His fury grew.

"Here is my proof." I hand him the letter, his eyes opening to the truth. "Will you search for your daughter now?"

He was unable to respond, so I left him there.

Did she really leave without telling me anything?

The ball came to an end from there. The investigation took over.

I ordered the knights to scour every entrance of the palace and every guest room. I used my shadows to sense the necklace, tracking where Estella might have gone.

It led me to Caelus' room. I frowned at the realization.

Entering the room, I expect to find her. But no one was there, so I looked for anything that might help me.