Chapter 11

Kyrell

As I waited near the door for the Queen and prince to come, I thought about how well the queen did on this ball.

The decorations on the outside looked splendid and the way she organized everything made me want to compliment her.

She was the first to appear. Her dress, so simple and elegantly hugged her figure. Though I'm not one to look, she didn't lack anything, that it for sure.

Is this how she entrances other men? Her beauty is beyond comparison.

"Your Majesty." Her voice is so soothing, tempting me to hear it more.

Her mood brightens as Alastair appears. She tries covering her face as she smiles at him.

She looks like she truly loves him.

"The suit looks wonderful on you, Alastair." She even compliments him and they make him happy. They seem to be more casual now. Alastair now calls her 'mother'.

How can a woman like her deceive so well?

She even gave him a gift. Are they that close that they act like mother and son?

From their attitude to their clothes, they act like family.

It seems that I'm the one being left out. I wasn't even aware we were supposed to wear the same color.

"It wasn't Her Majesty's fault. I was the one who wanted to match and I didn't tell you, father," Alastair interrupts.

His eyes plead for me to forgive them. Does he truly enjoy her presence? She does not act like she did before. Is there a chance that she is not who I thought she was?

She then removes the ribbon from her hair, folding it into my pocket. I can only watch her. As she bats her long lashes, focusing on her task.

Her being, so close that I can feel her warm breath. Is this fragile woman the little girl I knew before?

Did she change back to the calm and quiet child?

"How is that?" She asks.

"It's good." I relax my voice at the sound of her's. She didn't throw herself on me or beg for my compliments. She was just here, standing in front of me.

Maybe I can try, try seeing her reaction if I show my affection. I hold out my arm for her but she doesn't take it.

"There is no need for that, Your Majesty. You don't have to pressure yourself." Her face holds worry.

Why is she acting so different?

"You used to beg to hold my arm and now you are refusing."

"Things have changed, Your Majesty. I don't want you to strain yourself doing something you don't want to do."

She is caring for me. But not in the aggressive way.

She flinches away from my arm, similar to the time I helped her up.

Is she scared to touch me? She was so confident when talking about Alastair but when it comes to herself, she is frightful?

As we enter the gala, I can feel her shaking. Her touch delicately held my sleeve. She doesn't want to touch me. What caused her to be like this?

"Greetings, Your Majesty, the blessed sun." My evening was ruined because of the appearance of this one man. His gaze crawling on me was the most uncomfortable experience. More uncomfortable than I've ever felt with Estella.

"You look well, Marquis Claudonia. How have you been faring?" My voice is harsh, leaving no room for actual interest.

"It's been quite troublesome because my daughter is so far away from home. I missed seeing her and her letters are so scarce."