Chapter 19

"Betrayers get burned. The Marquis will reward me handsomely for this."

The evil thought rushes me into consciousness.

Being awaken from my slumber I scan my bedroom for any intruders. However, there was no one in sight.

Whoever was in my room just now left, but they did leave something behind.

Amber flames began to dance in the corner of the room across the bed. They spread quickly over the carpet.

Shuffling in my lacy night gown, I run towards the door.

Locked and the bright high flames were only getting worse. Even the service bell was out of comission.

"Help! Can anyone hear me?!" I yell, trying to drown my fear.

"Please help!" I pounded on the door, but no one came.

I have to go through the balcony, there is no chance of me opening this door. My coughing worsens as I turn around.

I carefully rush towards the balcony, breathing through one of the sheets to block the smoky air. By the time I reached the balcony, the door was engulfed and spreading into the hall.

It's as if the intruder sprayed gasoline all over my room because they were spreading so quickly.

I gaze down the balcony, taking count of the height. My room is on the second floor so there is no way of me jumping without hurting myself. Glancing to my left I see the large tree that spans up to the roof of the palace.

I might have a chance if I have the strength to climb down. Steadying my hands on the nearby branch, I throw my leg over. The fire now reached the balcony, there is no going back.

Having left the sheet on the balcony, I now am breathing through my night gown.

My eyes were watery from the smoke as I crawled down the branch of the tree. It's bark scraped against my hands as I moved to another branch lower to the ground.

I was close to reaching the bottom before my gown got caught on a smaller branch. I tugged at the dress, releasing it from its trap, however, the tug was too strong. My hand slipped, sending me tumbling off onto the ground below.

From there I didn't know what happened next, my body fell unconscious from the impact.

I guess this is why the letter burst into flames. The Marquis warned me ahead of time that this will happen.

That I would succum to the fire.

*****

Kyrell

'We're a family, no?'

Her words remained with me. The more I spend time with her, the more I realize that I don't want to lose her.

And when Alastair told us to sleep together, I couldn't help but agree. Having never felt emotions like this I'm not sure what to do.

I release a loud groan as I bury my head in my hands.

"Maybe we should call it a day, Your Majesty. It's past midnight." Alden says by my side.

It's been three days since Alastair's party and in two days I will be sleeping with her.

I'm not even sure what I was thinking.

She'll be by my side every night from now on.

"No, I'm fine." I brush him off.

"You haven't been well for a while Your Majesty. Is there a problem?"

"Have you ever had the feeling that you don't want to lose someone? Where if they leave you, you'll feel lost?" I blurt out some gibberish.