Chapter 2

The days have been getting better ever since I had that conversation with the head maid.

The servants seemed to listen more and weren't as frightened. I treated them kindly so they treated me the same back. Lina, however, was still my favorite. She knows how to do her job and didn't seem to have any ill will for me.

Lately, I've also been focusing on the timeline of the story, trying to figure out when Alastair's curse will affect him. From what I can recollect it is in about two years because he should be seven years old around now.

And in these two years, Estella schemes to kill him and have a son of her own.

The person who saves Alastair from the curse is Kyrell's future lover. She saves him and then introduces him to the female lead. The two grow up together and slowly fall in love as they try to stop the neighboring kingdom from conquering Istyris.

I need to find her in order to stop the curse. Her gift is the only chance I have.

The Moon Palace gardens were beautiful, especially in the summer. The breeze was cooler today, not as hot as the days before. This was good because these dresses that I have to wear are always so thick. I resorted in wearing thinner fabric dresses that were more flowy, it didn't keep my movement limited too.

I tap my shoes on the grass as I walk near the edge of the garden. Tall flower bloomed trees lined the edge which was guarded by a thick beige stone wall. It was marvelous how beautiful this garden can be. Whoever was the designer had great taste.

The sight that makes me pause is when a tuft of black hair pops through the gaping hole in the wall.

Did no one see the hole here? They didn't think of patching it up.

A little boy crawls through the hole into the Moon's Palace's garden. He stands, turning his head left to right, searching for anyone that might stop him. Sneakily, he tries to reach the large fountain near the wall.

It looks like he hasn't noticed me. Who is this child? A servant's kid? But what is he doing here?

I let out a small laugh at the sight of him walking on his tippy toes as he reached the edge of the large fountain.

As he goes to put his hand in the water, he whips his head at the sound of my laugh. Fear strikes his face as he backs away, running to the hole.

"Wait!" I shout for him to stop, running as best as I could in my heels. Lifting my dress to give my feet better access to the ground.

He stops as I reach him, having no choice but to face me.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I didn't mean to enter your palace without permission. You can punish me as you wish. Please forgive me."

The little boy prostrates himself in an apologetic manner. His hands clasped together, his head down, not looking at me. It seems he already knows who I am. Then again, my hair does give it away.

He is so cute. But he doesn't have to apologize so hard. He didn't do anything wrong.

"Lift your head. You did nothing wrong. Just tell me what you are doing here." I ask, my eyes focused on his eyes as he lifted his head.

Red eyes.

Alastair de Royalis, the crown prince.

"I wanted to see the golden fountain, Your Majesty. I'm sorry, I should have asked permission." He bows his head once more.

He is so well mannered that it hurts that he is so formal.

I crouch down to meet his eyes. He looks shocked at what I am doing, but I ignore it.