Chapter 12

Soon after, a maid came to fetch me.

"Your Majesty, the Queen is ready." I believe she is Estella's personal maid.

Before she leads me to the door she pauses.

"Your Majesty, I have something to say." She looks terrified and hesitant to speak. "Her Majesty told me not to say anything. But I can't keep it to myself, it's just so horrible."

She looks like she is about to cry.

What did Estella do to make her maid act like this?

"Please continue." I grab my handkerchief from my inner suit pocket, handing it to her.

"Yesterday night she returned out of the blue. She was covered in a blanket which covered her body. When she removed it—" her voice breaks. "When she removed it, her body was littered with burn marks. She wouldn't tell me who did it or let a doctor see her. I didn't know who to tell or how to help her." The maid weeps.

"I just wanted to let you know if you end up taking Her Majesty to bed. She is in great pain right now."

Burn marks? How can this happen?

"Do not tell anyone else what you have seen." I command, "And do not let anyone enter my room without my permission."

"Yes, Your Majesty. Please help her." This maid cares so deeply for her queen.

I open the door, entering the room. She was in the same position I found her the night of the wedding.

Out on the balcony, in a thin nightgown which covered more than before.

"Your Majesty, your back." Her voice is gentle as she closes the balcony door entering the room.

I want to see them. I want to see how and who injured her soft body. Is this what she has been hiding all along? This pain and suffering that I was unaware of.

And I treated her terribly, even when I didn't know her.

"Sit on the bed." I ordered her.

She gives me an odd look but complies.

She sits on the left side of the bed. I sit next to her.

"Show me what they did to you." My voice is low.

Fear strikes her face at my order. "What—what do you mean, Your Majesty?" She fumbles, picking at the hem of her dress.

"Show me the wounds that were inflicted on you," I repeat.

"Did Lina tell you? She shouldn't have, they aren't that bad." She stammers, scooting away from me.

"I will be the judge of that. Now turn around, I won't ask again."

Her face is filled with fear, fear from me. But she then turns her back to me, her body shakes underneath my gaze. I softly lift her hair, placing it in front of her.

Gently, I untie the back of her gown, which slides to the sides, exposing her back.

I remove the bandages separating her wounds from her clothes.

Horror fills my vision.

'Cursed unloved queen' was in bold red. Blisters appeared on the outlining of the words. Her fair skin was overtaken by the reddish oranges burns. It was one of the most gruesome sities I have ever seen which says a lot.

I turn her around to look at some more words on the front of her chest.

"Your Majesty, I believe this is enough." She pulls up the fabric of her chest. "I am no longer suitable to be your wife. I'm sorry to have disgraced your presence with such a sight."