Chapter 9

The ball arrived quicker than expected, the rush I endured in order to complete this grand project. Crystal chandeliers neatly lined the ceiling. The balconies doors and windows were adorned with pale orange curtains. The first floor had refreshment tables decorated with light orange and yellow dahlias.

The gala had an open space below the thrones where people could dance on the polished marble floor. Up the stairs sat three thrones, each for a member of the royal family. Another set of stairs across, for the guests to reach the second floor.

I managed to send out all the invitations and prepare the setup of the gala in these past months. I'm amazed at my work.

Right now, the maids are finishing up on my makeup, making sure that I look like the host of the ball. My long hair was let down but accented with some braids as well as a light blue hair pin shaped as a flower. The pin had a ribbon falling from it.

The maids did their job well.

I walk to the entrance of the door to the ballroom, there I spot King Kyrell.

I kept visiting his room the past months even if he told me not to. Though he never showed up. I don't know why I keep coming, but it's like something is dragging me there. Estella's subconscious tells me to go and I comply with it.

I know nothing will happen between us but a woman can dream. I don't hate Kyrell, he has every right to despise me. But I just wish he could show Alastair more love.

Anyway, Kyrell still continues to have his eyes on me to see if I make a move.

He won't get what he is after. I find him strange that he suddenly seems friendlier, not intruding in my business. It feels like he is scheming.

"Your Majesty." I do my usual greetings.

His eyes seem to pierce me, searching for something.

"It is good to see you, Queen Estella." His voice doesn't have any pleasantries. "I heard you did well on the preparation of the Spring's Ball. I look forward to seeing how it turns out."

His eyes remain curious. What is he looking for?

"Thank you, Your Majesty. I truly hope you enjoy it." My words are genuine. I hope he does enjoy this, he has suffered because of my family as well. I would like him to feel happy even if it isn't shown in public.

He gives me a small nod.

"Your Majesties." Alastair greets as he approaches us. His uniform looks so good on him. I cover my mouth to hide my wide smile.

I could feel Kyrell gaze on me.

His brooch is a bit twisted. Did the servants let him go out like that?

"The suit looks wonderful on you, Alastair." I softly reach my hands to the left of his chest, adjusting the brooch.

"Oh, I didn't realize it was like that," he stammers. "I'm sorry, I couldn't even wear Mother's gift properly."

"It's alright, there's no need to apologize," I beam at him.

"You gave him a gift?" Kyrell asks, looking at the ruby brooch.

"Yes, I thought it looked wonderful on him. Don't you think, Your Majesty?" I fish for a compliment.

He nods, "It looks very regal."

Doesn't he know how to compliment people? This is his son and that is all he says.

"You both are wearing the same color. Was this planned?" The King looks between us. He wore a navy suit unlike the two of us.