Chapter XLV - "Wrong . . . place."

I've had enough. I'm done.

Walking up to Naomi Vegas' dorm made me realize that these things I've been worrying about just don't matter. These mysteries of attacks and identities are just not my fight.

I'm going to apologize to him and rid my hands of dirt. And if things turn up, I'm going to forget anything even happened.

Dorm 44.

I knocked on the door.

The knob clicked.

My eyes widened.

"Oh," Lavender's face seemed to have lit up in amusement with the sight of me outside his dorm. "Didn't expect you here."

I stumbled back, my body faltering as if struck by an invisible force. "I-I think I'm at the wrong . . . place. I thought this was where Naomi—"

"Oh, no. This is where Naomi stays alright."

I pause. " . . . What?"

A faint grin tugged at his lips. "Something wrong?"

I felt a shiver run down my spine, a fiery sensation that spread like wildfire. "This whole time . . . This whole time you led me to believe Naomi was suspicious while you were roommates with him?!?"

"Why are you so mad?"

I scoff. "I'm not mad, Lav! I'm just trying to understand why!"

"Why what?"

"Why you never told me!"

"Like it mattered?"

My chest contorted with a mix of disbelief and shock. "It feels like you tricked me."

"Look, Stephanie, you believed what you wanted to believe." His attention caught something behind me.

Agitated, I turned to find Naomi staring at Lav, then at me.

" . . . " Naomi looked as surprised as me. His eyes flickered in what seemed like fear. "Wha– . . . What's up?"

Apologize!

"Naomi!" I quickly jolt remembering why I was here in the first place. "I would just like to say sorry for yesterday. I really am sorry. What I did was wrong and I completely take it back!"

He froze for a moment as if his brain didn't comprehend all my words. It was like he's never been apologized to.

"O-oh, uhm, no, it's totally okay." He awkwardly smiles and nods. "I really didn't mind."

"Are you sure? Did I squeeze your wrist too hard???"

"Hah, a bit. But, uhh, I guess I also spooked you. Yeah . . . it's okay though."

I sighed in relief. "Thank God. I really hope you can forgive me."

"Steph, you said sorry to me. Literally, no one ever says sorry to me." He glances at Lav. "That alone was the deal sealer."

No one said anything.

Naomi tenses his shoulders and forces a laugh. "See you around. Bye." And he walks, rather runs, away.

That was . . . a way to accept an apology.

I turn back to Lavender and he just . . . slams the door in my face. So hard that wind whips my hair away.

. . .

I'm over this.