Chapter LIII - "Took em'."

I checked my watch. It was the next day and a school day.

I leaned against the wall beside the Blossom's dorm, a crocodile plushie stuck to the door, waiting for them to come out. Not soon after, Innes emerged from the dorm next door. "Good morning, Innes."

"Morning'." She groggily rubbed her eye and settled beside me. She fiddled with her tie before giving up. "Can you help me?"

"Sure thing." After a while, I managed with her tie and patted her shoulder. "Good as new."

She winced and pulled on it. "Feels like a noose."

Our conversation was cut short by the Blossom's door slamming open. "Goood morninggg!" Molly strolled out and stretched her arms.

"Good morning, Molly." I smiled. I smelt her floral perfume as she walked past me to Innes.

"Good morning, Innesa."

"It's too early for this."

"Bad morning, then."

She rolled her eyes. I'm telling you, one day, Innes's eyes are gonna pop.

Molly turned to me. "Steph, where is my brother?"

"Hm? I have no idea. I came here looking for him."

"Didn't you run away with him last night?"

"He just wanted to borrow my voice recorder and hang out."

She laughed, lightly punching my shoulder. "He hasn't returned since you haggard him for yourself."

"Molly!"

"All I'm saying is—"

"He isn't here." Innes cut, her voice low and sharp.

We both stared at her.

" . . . " Molly eventually waved and strode away. "Well, I'm gonna look for his gay ass. Ciao!"

Innes looked at me after Molly disappeared into the halls like a petal in the wind. "Where is he?"

"I—I don't know."

***

"Ladrón?" Pandora raised her hand as our History teacher, Ms. Mavyr, took attendance. "Blossom?"

"Kinda here," Molly called, lazily waving.

"Pardon?"

"Only one is here."

"Only one of you? Where's the other one?"

Innes and I exchanged defeated glances as Molly continued (As you could guess, we both didn't find him).

"He vanished. Oooh . . . " Someone called from behind. "The Hazard took em'."

I yanked back. It was Seth. "For once, Seth. Shut up."

Our tired History teacher sighed.

"Gouged out eyeballs . . . Oooh . . . "

I stood up from my seat, jaw clenched.

"Enough," Ms. Mavyr pointed at me with a pen. "Dragus, sit down."

I ignored her. I stared at Seth, that bastard. Lax in his chair and tie loose. My eyes narrowed. What a sight.

"Steph Dragus." She finally cut, voice snapping the air. "Since you care so much, go find him."

The adrenaline made it hard to think. He lifted his forearm, dropping his other arm on it as if he were hacking it, gaze taunting me. He grinned.

"Steph Dragus." She called again.

I took a deep, shaky breath. That bastard.

"Steph Dragus."

I grabbed my bag and stormed out of the classroom, Seth whistling. If I stayed one more second there, I would have popped.

Looking around was a blur. I had to find Ollie. Where could he be? I already checked the bathroom, The Cassius Post headquarters, the detention storage, and so much more. Where . . . oh.

I headed to his hideout in the woods.

***

"Ollie?" My foot crunched twigs as I stepped through his hideout. The logs as chairs, (still) open firefly lights hanging from tree to tree, lamps everywhere, and his radio. "Ollieee?"

No sign of him.

I sighed. I was supposed to leave yet I found myself taking the place in. It was so serene. The birds chirped as the leaves rustled. The gentle sun kissed my skin as the wind rustled my hair. And something metal looming on the ground.

I paused. I bent down to pick it up and a sense of familiarity reached.

It was my recorder.