four | logan & luke

The weekend is going to be long. Two whole days of being trapped inside these four walls until I can be free. Alexander made it unbearably clear that I am not allowed to leave without one of my brothers breathing down my neck, and if I tried, I would be found by the guards and dragged back. 

But there have to be loopholes, right? Holes in the brick gate surrounding us? Guards who are easily bribed? 

I wander around the perimeter of my brothers' home. A few guards follow me, but they stay far back, letting me roam with the fake sense of being alone. My eyes stay sharp, examining each brick and crevice of the wall. No holes. No friendly guards. All of them frowned, or just kept a stiff expression on their faces. 

With hopelessness settling into my chest, I return inside. Immediately, Luke rushes up to me. I blink in surprise. "Let's go somewhere! We only have two days before school starts. You need to see the town." Logan stands right behind his brother, smirking. 

I push past them, but someone gently grabs my wrist. I turn back and see Logan. "Oh, come on, Ev. It'll be fun. We can get ice cream or whatever." 

Will it be 'fun'? Am I capable of having fun with these people anymore? I glance at Luke, who is grinning from ear to ear and nodding at me enthusiastically. I sigh, but follow them out the door to the twins' black sports car. 

Am I surprised they have a million dollar car? 

No. No, I am not. 

The twins sit in the front seat. I slide into the back. One of my hands wraps around the seat, the other around the handle. My body is leaning against the door. Logan suspiciously eyes me, then says, "Luke, why don't you put the lock on for Ev's door? Don't want our lil' sis to do anything rash." 

The lock clicks. I'm trapped. My lips form a thin line. Luke drives out of the garage, down the long drive, out the gates. I quickly pick up on the cars following us, but Logan only nods at me to let me know they're our security. 

The scenery is vibrant. Trees are turning orange and yellow. Deers peer out through the brush to view our metal vehicle curiously. I smile at the nature, the woodland animals. The children's home had a forest in its backyard, which I spent my weekends and free time wandering. 

I hadn't been a 'nature girl' before going there. But, I was taken back by its beauty. Squirrels lugged acorns back to their homes. Birds perched on branches, singing their songs in innocent tones. The trees offered me protection from the sun. 

I made a habit of sneaking out of the children's home, past Mrs. White, and sitting under a tree. Usually I brought a book, and read out loud, entertaining the creatures in my own way. They normally paid me no mind, as if I was part of their natural environment. Although, sometimes I caught the eye of a squirrel or deer, and they watched me from a distance. 

My mind turns sour as I think of the fact that I won't be able to wander the woods anymore. I can't scale gates. I can't bribe guards. Alexander is as stubborn as school paste. How can I feel free in such a suffocating environment? 

Luke parks in a secluded lot near the town. The other cars circle us. Logan hops out, and opens my door, barely waiting for me to unbuckle my seatbelt before his hand is secured my upper arm. "Get your hand off of me," I warn, trying to pull my wrist away aggressively. 

I realize I've already broken my pact with myself, in less than a day, too, to rub salt in my open wound. 

Logan smirks triumphantly, but doesn't mention it. Luke, however, mumbles, "You owe me ten bucks, brother dearest." 

"I believe I'm being well-intentioned by making sure your impulsive mind keeps itself locked away. Don't you agree, brother?" Logan asks passively. Luke nods in firm agreement. 

"It's not like I'll take off for the hills. There are like fifty men following me, remember? They're kind of hard to miss." I motion to the men dispersing around us. Some look like they're classy businessmen, others seem to be disheveled alcoholics. 

Logan seems convinced, and lets go of my arm. I push past both of them, heading towards the main road. They follow quickly behind, and soon enough I am sandwiched between the two. Luke takes on the role as a tour guide, even though I've been on this street countless times. I keep my mouth shut, though. 

"Oh! There's the park. Remember that, Ev? You'd beg Dad to take you here every Saturday at 6 o'clock without fail. Said it was the perfect time to stroll through and admire the sunset, and then the bright stars." 

I shrug. But, I do remember those weekends with my father. His death broke me. I wondered how my charming, lovable father was gone in an instance. But then Uncle told me it was his own fault he died.

Dying is always a gamble in my brothers' line of work. 

The ice cream parlor appears: Richard's Ice Cream and Soda. The smell alone brings back a host of ice cream dates with my brothers, parties with friends, or even a random hankering for an old man's bright smile and sweet food. 

"Hey, there! Come over, friends, don't be shy," Richard's voice rings out, his back turned to us. When he spins around, his expression falls for a moment before a grin quickly appears again. "My favorite Evelyn!" 

I smile, leaving my brothers and going to him. "Hey, Richard. How's life been? Is business going well?"  

"Divine, my dear. But what about you? How was that fancy boarding school you've been at?" Oh. Boarding school. Of course my brothers wouldn't tell people I was kidnapped. That would draw too much unwanted attention. 

"Great. Made lots of friends," I sweetly say instead. 

"What do you want? It's on me," Richard says. 

"I think not—" Logan begins to object, but Richard waves his hand dismissively at him. 

"I'm the elder here, young man. My opinion goes. Didn't that Alexander teach you anything?" 

I'm in shock of how easily Richard insults my frightening brother. But then I realize that this man was around, working the ice cream shop with his family, when my father was trying to win over my mother's heart. He's practically our grandfather. 

I order a scoop of vanilla ice cream—an untouchable classic—and settle into a booth. The twins sit across from me with their mountains of sweets. 

"So," I begin, instantly gaining both of their attentions, "Do both of you go to Saint Mary's?" 

Luke nods, "Grade twelve, isn't that right, twin?" 

"Indeed. Soon enough, we'll be out of here doing who knows? Sailing the world on a cruise ship? Basking on a beach in Italy with hot girls?" 

"Don't you need to help Alexander with our family's splendid business?" 

Luke shrugs. "Sure. But we can have a good time doing it, right? Use some of our power for pleasure?" He nudges Logan's shoulder, who smirks. 

"Father surely did start you young," I mutter in disgust, pushing my now revolting-looking ice cream to the side. Luke quickly snatches it and wolfs it down with the rest of his food.

"That's the job, sister. Nothing personal, just what we have been born into," Logan says, and then he points at me with his plastic spoon, "You're part of this family, too. Don't you go and forget that."