twenty-seven | betrayal

I have been locked in this cell for a long time. I am curled up against the bed, my body becoming stiff and sore overtime. 

I have only been brought water once, and it was warm, in a small tin cup, and I feel like my stomach is trying to eat itself. 

That ginger has locked me up in here for a punishment, I know. Mum's boyfriend gave me many punishments after she died, but I also escaped and hid in my room.

Instead of hiding, I am being forced to stay in this cell. The walls are hard and chilled to the bone. When I breathe out, I see puffs of my breath beside me. 

The only clothes on my back are thin. The shirt is flimsy, and the pants barely reach my ankles. They are loose and airy, which allows cold air to seep up through into me. 

Was this done on purpose? I wouldn't imagine so. There must be many prisoners here and I was unlucky enough to inherit this ill-fitting outfit. 

My eyes close. My brain feels fuzzy and foggy from being pounded against the concrete floor. I sit still and try to remember happy times, happy times, happy times. 

A woman sits next to me. She is supposed to be my new mummy. I have never had a mummy before, even when I lived with daddy and my brothers. 

Mrs Nelson is happy that this new woman is taking care of me. She is all smiles as the two of them finish their papers and I sit still. 

The woman turns to me. She kneels in front of me with a bright grin. Her hair is clean and tucked back but it looks like it should be free and wild.

"Eve, I am so pleased to finally meet you," She begins, sticking her hand out. Warmth radiates from her, more than any of the social workers. "May I be your best friend?"

I blink. Then a small smile erupts onto my face. I reach out and my small, bony hand wraps around hers. I hop off the seat and she unclasps her hand. 

Mrs Nelson waves goodbye as I trail behind my new friend—I think one of the social workers told me to call her 'Mum'.

Mum leads me out of the building and to a little car parked underneath a great big tree. I climb into the car. 

Once she's on the road and driving, her giddy voice carries towards me. "Darling girl, why don't we get some ice cream?" I smile and squeal an agreement.

My eyes open when I feel a presence in the same room as me. I turn over on the bed and jump in shock when I see Ginger standing by the door, frowning. 

"Two days you've been in this cell, drinking only one tin of water, and you have remained confined to that cot? Where is the rebellious spirit inside you?" 

I sit up and stare at him. He arches an eyebrow in my direction, clearly expecting an answer I don't know how to give him.

"Miss Rhodes, do you not want something? Do you not want to walk around this base, or interact with other people? To eat? You have been silently starving for four days." 

Again, I stare. I will not do anything to obtain those wants. The only thing I want is to be free from this cell. I want to live without these chains holding me down. 

Ginger sighs. "This is why you have not been chosen for the Center. You are clearly too stubborn for your own good. What happens in two weeks? Will your weak heart give out by then?" 

The thought of death sends a spark of fear through my body. I don't want to die, I am still so young. I have a whole life filled of wonder to live through. I need to see Warren again.