7

OLIVIA POV

Alex gave me a brief tour of the pack while Willow was constantly distracted by wildflowers and butterflies.  Their gym is state of the art and I was impressed at how well designed the hospital building is, too.  He pointed out a dungeon camouflaged in the woods then explained how there is a weapons room in the pack house that also holds items like silver collars, wolfsbane, and guns that use silver bullets.

Silver can be lethal for werewolves.  Our bodies reject it but the metal seeps into our bloodstream then cuts off circulation quickly.  It weakens us, so injuries from silver are even more deadly, especially when it is being used to weaken a wolf for torture and interrogation.  The same goes for wolfsbane, a plant that is basically our kryptonite.  Having both on hand is dangerous if you're not careful.

Knowing Alex has those tools ready makes me even respect him as a leader even more.  It proves he is willing to step up in whatever way necessary to ensure the safety of his pack.

I found a patch of wild chamomile as we took our time wandering around and gasped, "Oohhh, Willow, guess what?"

She tilted her head at me and followed to the grouping of green buds. "This is called pineapple weed, or wild chamomile. If we pick this we can turn it into tea and drink it. It helps people feel better."

Willow's green eyes sparkled as I chose a few blossoms while Alex watched us with a warm gaze. "Do you think there is a lot of stuff that you can eat or drink in our forest?"

I nodded then stood and took Willow's hand, "Oh, absolutely. I saw a crop of morel mushrooms when I was running last night that I'll have to find again and there are tons of plants around that I'll take a look at when I can. I am friends with a Native American medicine man I've worked with a few times so if I ever have a question I can text him photos and details."

"I'm sure that helps determine which mushrooms are safe to eat," Alex reasoned.

"Absolutely. I can tell which are deadly but there are a couple psychotropic mushrooms that are similar to ones we would eat for a meal.  The ones that are poisonous to us have a different smell so at least I won't die if I get something confused."

He paused and turned, looking into my eyes. "Is my little mate into shrooms?"

I chuckled and felt myself blush, "Well, if it comes from the earth then I'm in. It is not something I'd do regularly but can be a really cool experience.  Wanna go down the rabbit hole with me?"

Alex hummed and leaned his head side to side as if he was debating how to answer.  The motion made me laugh even harder.

We have been able to tease one another easily since connecting this morning.  Maybe the fact that he literally fell for me the moment I opened my door helped both of us let down our guards more quickly.  Whatever the reason, I love this dynamic and enjoy how comfortable we are together.

Willow gasped when she spotted tiger lilies so I followed, helping her pick a few blooms.  I tucked one into the clip that kept her black hair away from her face and grinned, "Just beautiful."

The mate bond burned brighter between us while we continued back to the pack house.  Alex is attentive and tender with Willow, a man that is clearly meant to be a Dad.

My heart raced at the idea.

I've always dreamed of having a family.  One where my mate and I work as a team, raising children that never have to wonder if they are worthy of love.  Kids with parents that truly care without forcing their will onto a child's life.

My childhood was full of fear and uncertainty, especially after my mom died.  With Alex at my side I know our family will always know how valuable they are just by being themselves.  No high standards to achieve so you can have a meal or unrealistic expectations placed on the shoulders of a child.