~30~

Beryl's POV

The moment I stepped out of the bedroom, I encountered Victoria standing before me, her face displaying a somber expression. "Can I talk to you?" she requested, her voice filled with uncertainty.

My initial reaction was skepticism. Victoria had made it clear on numerous occasions that she hated me being Bruce's mate. However, I reasoned that perhaps she wanted to apologize for her previous behavior.

After a moment of contemplation, I agreed to listen to what she had to say. "Sure," I replied, my voice filled with curiosity. We sat in the garden, tension and uneasiness filled the atmosphere and I was regretting every second of it. "Does your head still hurt?" She asked, voice laced with concern.

"No one is here to watch your act, you can stop pretending. This is already uncomfortable, don't make it worse" she nodded and took a deep breath, her gaze on mine. "I wanted to apologize... for everything"

I was taken aback by her apology and wanted to understand but something wasn't falling in place. She could've apologized all the time I was here, why now... when I was so close to death?
She paused to take a breath and glanced at me, guilt flooding her eyes.

My mind was wandering to thoughts alien to me. Panic bloomed in me as I thought of all the scenarios that could've brought this up

"I just want a clear conscience. I didn't know it would turn out like this, I... I only wanted to drive you away. I'm so sorry" she sobbed, wiping her tears.

Drive me away?

"What.... what are you saying?" my voice quivered. Victoria sniffled and looked down, the hem of her shirt looking very interesting.

"Answer the question, what the fuck are you talking about?" my voice was calm but filled with anger. I wanted to hear it straight out of her what happened, and I don't give two fucks if she's being real or not.

"Your accident.... it was planned. Ace, he said he could make you leave and I... I said yes" I fell back into the chair, my hands gripping the handles. I almost died, Lucas could've died, bloody was beaten up so badly.

"Why?" I barked. She flinched and looked up, gripping her shirt tighter.

"I loved him before you! I gave up everything for him. I wasn't going to stand by and watch him being taken from me" She fumed, tears spilling from her eyes. I waited for her to finish before I can think of what to do.

"I thought that... that with you gone, he would come back to me. But he didn't even look at me, I feel so stupid" she sighed and rubbed her eyes, smudging black mascara over her face.

Well, now she looks how she feels

"I won't blame you if you told Bruce, I just wanted to get this off my chest. I can die in peace now"

"Shut up. I hate you but I don't want you dead. I'll talk to him" I rolled my eyes and handed her a tissue. She touched her eyes and looked at her hands before blushing and taking the tissue.

I wasn't going to kill her, sure she tried to have me dead or in her words 'scare me' but I don't want her blood on my hands.

Then it clicked

Bruce

He...he wouldn't kill her... he wouldn't. I know he wouldn't.

Then why are you still doubting?

"I doubt he'd listen to you on this matter, he wouldn't think twice before putting a bullet in my head"

"Can you quit it with the death talk. He's not going to kill you" she arched a brow and gave me a once over saying 'you, really?'. Shrugging her shoulders she stood up and cleared the little smudges of black on her eyes. With a nod she walked away, leaving me to process all that just happened.

Dinner felt strained, at least for me. Everyone but victoria was at the table, if feels wierd saying her name without the intense dislike that follows. It's been replaced with pity. It was noisy and bustling, laughter filled the hall. Lucas still had the cast on but he looked better than before. Bloody looked better too.

I ignored a familiar set of grey eyes boring holes into my face. He's probably angry I left him in bed. I stood up and quietly slinked away. I stood at the balcony and folded my arms on the railing, looking up at the stars. A pair of strong hands wrapped around my waist and I felt a pair of lips on my neck.

"Why did you leave?" His deep voice sent a pleasant hum down my spine. I turned my face and gave him a chaste kiss. His arm loosened and I turned and wrapped my arms around him, shooting a soft smile his way. His eyes softened and a lazy smirk pulled at his lips

"I just needed some air" I murmured against his lips, his warm breath against mine.

"Then in the morning was the same? you left for air and didn't come back?"

I pulled away and arched a brow, my mouth failing to hide a smile "Don't tell me you're mad about that" a smile broke free and laughter followed. Bruce looked at me, frown on his face which slowly broke into a small smile.

He looks cute when he smiles

"Who would've thought the big dangerous mafia lord can smile? You look cute" He leaned forward and whispered in my ear "I wasn't acting cute last night"

I blushed and slapped his chest which made him laugh. My happy bubble was popped with an unwanted thought

You won't think he's cute when he kills her

Sometimes I wish my conscience would just fuck off forever. They interrupt at the worst times

Bruce noticed a change in the atmosphere and gently placed a hand on my cheek, rubbing softly. "Amar?"

"What would you do if.... you found the person who caused my accident?" His eyes darkened and arm went tight on my waist.

"I'll kill them"

Wasn't expecting anything different but....

"Why? I'm still here, you don't have to kill anyone" I said softly, my hand covering the one on my cheek. His gaze switched to one filled with pain and I felt breathless

"You almost died, I could've lost you" his pained whisper caused an ache in my chest.

"What if it was someone you knew? Would you still kill them?" His brows furrowed and he stared at me

"What are you not telling me?" I sighed and rested my head on his chest. I don't want to tell him, I don't want him to kill her, even though I don't like her

"So... umm, someone told me something..."

A/N

Bruce:*glares* I hate you

Me: What did I do?

Bruce: *aims a gun at me*

Me: *runs away*

Soo, he hates me. Anywayy see you in the next chapter 💞