~31~

"So... umm, someone told me something..." I played with the button on his shirt, my mind battling against telling him. I took a deep breath and looked up at him, his eyes narrowed and my breath hitched. No time for horny thoughts. Focus

"And?" His arms firm around my waist. I blurted everything in one breath and his eyes widened.

"That bitch" he snarled. His scent immediately spiked, honey and whiskey wafting in the air. The air crackled with tension as I stumbled forward clutching his shirt, senses overwhelmed by the intoxicating scent that enveloped me. His pheromones, a primal force, surged through the room, leaving me breathless and disoriented.

When I opened my eyes, it was to the steady rise and fall of Bruce’s chest. His arms cradled me, possessive yet gentle. The room smelled of him—of promises whispered in the dark. I pressed my face into his chest, inhaling deeply. My fingertips traced over his bullet wound, taking me back to the first time we met. I stifled a laugh at the memory. His lips brushed over my head, teasing hands wandering and kneading.

"You're awake"I murmured against his chest. He replied with a soft grunt and continued exploring

I held back a moan as his hands ran over my inner thigh, venturing lower. My hands were held tight in his and lips captured mine in a searing kiss. All thoughts disappeared as lips danced with mine. The night was a blur of soft kisses and sweet words, leaving me cradled in his arms with sleep falling through

Rays of sunlight filtered the room causing me to open my eyes to see a bright light shining through the curtains. I blinked, still sleepy and rubbed my eyes, trying to adjust to the sudden brightness. I looked at the empty space beside me and glanced at the clock, it was 7:30.

I wanted to explain it to him before he shut me up with a kiss and... other things. I walked to the wardrobe and fished out a white button up and a pair black high waist jeans. With a quick shower I was dressed and headed to his office. I knocked on the door and sighed softly when I heard a quiet 'enter'.

He looked up and walked towards me.His arms enveloped me, warmth seeping through the fabric of my shirt. I pressed my cheek against his chest, inhaling the scent of honey and whiskey

"You weren't in bed when I woke up," I murmured, his lips brushing my hair. His fingers traced patterns on my back, a silent question. But my mind raced, replaying our last conversation.

How could I bring it up now, with him smiling at me like that? The words clung to my throat, stubborn and unyielding. Stay focused, I told myself. This was life and death. There was no room for hesitation.

I stepped back, breaking the cocoon of his embrace. His eyes followed me, storm clouds gathering. "Bruce," I said, my voice steady, "are you really going to kill her?"

His smile faded, replaced by something darker. "She betrayed us, and I almost lost you " he said, each word a shard of ice. "There's no room for forgiveness in our world."

But I remembered her tear-streaked face, the tremor in her voice as she begged for mercy. Redemption was a fragile thread, and I clung to it. "People change," I whispered. "Even in the darkest alleys."

Bruce's gaze bore into mine, a tempest of conflict. "Not everyone deserves a second chance, amar" he said. "Not in this life."

"Bruce, please" I breathed, cradling his face in my arms. I had a feeling there could be more to this, not just my accident. The name she mentioned, Ace. Granted I've never known someone with that name but something was nagging me to push on with this.

Why do you still want her alive?" His voice was a low growl, gravel scraping against my eardrums. "She tried to kill you."

I sighed, my fingers finding solace in pinching his arm. Bruce was more stubborn than a mule, and convincing him not to take revenge was like trying to hold back a tidal wave with a paper umbrella.

"She apologized, Bruce." I met his gaze, unyielding. "You don't see a lot of people correcting their mistakes."

The room crackled with tension, a fragile balance between life and death.

"She said a name, Ace. Who is he?" I know I shouldn't dive deeper, the mafia can be brutal. But I've seen my fair share of horrors being an elite. He gave me a look that sealed the conversation. I sighed and broke away from him

"If you're not going to listen," I said softly, "I'm leaving."

And with that, I turned away, leaving Bruce to wrestle with his demons.

*~*

"Hey!" I jumped and turned to see Lucas with a smile. The cast was off his arm and he healed up pretty well. I glared at him for scaring me and pinched him. He winced and rubbed his arm

"What was that for?" He grumbled and I rolledy eyes and walked father. He caught up to me in a matter of seconds. Curse him and his long legs.

"Did Victoria act wierd around you by any chance" I tilted my head and squinted at him.

"Do you mean she apologized to you?"

"Yeah, that. Apparently she 'apologized' to bloody too" he quoted. I stopped walking and turned to face Lucas, hoping she told him about Ace too

"Did she say anything about a guy named Ace" His eyes grew large at the name and he pushed me to a corner, glancing around before looking at me

"How do you know that  name?" he whisper shouted

"She apologized to me too and she said Ace was the one who helped her set up the accident" His face looked drained of colour and he stumbled back, eyes wide with shock

"Oh shit. This is bad" From the look on his face he knew something about the guy Victoria was talking about

"Who is he?" I pleaded with Lucas but he shook his head, refusing to tell me anything. He grabbed me by my shoulders and looked me in the eyes

"You can't know anything about that guy. All you need to understand is that he's bad news, don't go looking for anything. If you get hurt again or worse, I don't think Kyle could keep him in check" I blinked and  nodded. Here I was being selfish and poking my nose into something that dangerous all the while ignoring Bruce's feelings.

"Can you at least help me convince him not to kill Victoria?" Lucas snorted and folded his arms

"Yeah I can't help you with that. You're on your own this time" I flipped him the bird and he laughed walking away. I turned and headed for the library, picking a book to read in the garden. Books and flowers being my place of calmness

A/N

Hello muffins, hope you enjoyed this chapter 💞

See you in the next chapter 💞