~34~

The air in the opulent sitting room hung heavy with a cocktail of desperation and fine cologne. Victoria perched on the edge of a plush armchair, her sequined dress a stark contrast to the brooding figure of Bruce Valeska across from her. Under different circumstances the atmosphere would be accepting.His notoriety as one of the most ruthless mafia underboss preceded him.

"Victoria," Bruce's voice was a low rumble, like thunder rolling in from a distant storm. "Speak quickly. What has Ace planned for Beryl?"

Victoria swallowed, her throat suddenly dry. The news she carried could shatter the fragile peace maintained by an uneasy truce between the Valeska mafia and the Falcone, of which Victoria was a reluctant member.

She'd defied Ace's orders to come here, a desperate plea gnawing at her conscience. Yet, here she was, spilling his secrets to the very man he considered his biggest rival.

"A week from now" she blurted, forcing the words out. "Ace plans to attack the mansion. He wants Beryl... to disappear."

The room seemed to shrink with the weight of her words. Victoria flinched, bracing herself for the explosion she knew was coming. Bruce Valeska didn't take kindly to threats against his people, especially his mate, Beryl.

Yet, a tense silence stretched between them, punctuated only by the rhythmic tick of a grandfather clock. Finally, Bruce spoke, his voice surprisingly controlled. "Why are you telling me this?"

Victoria's heart hammered against her ribs. "Beryl... he wouldn't let me die. He said there has to be another way." Her voice cracked, a plea escaping her lips. "Please, Bruce. Don't hurt me."

Bruce's gaze softened a fraction. The memory of Beryl's unwavering loyalty and kindness even towards his enemies, flickered in his eyes. With a sigh, he leaned back in his chair, the tension in the room easing slightly. He could've killed her this very moment, nothing was stopping him. But the thought of disappointment and anger Beryl would have of him held him back.

"You're safe here, Victoria," he said, his voice devoid of its earlier menace. "But this changes things. We'll settle this with Ace, our way. You won't be a part of it."

Victoria sagged in relief, a wave of dizziness washing over her. The weight of her betrayal, the fear of retaliation, it all threatened to consume her. But for now, she was safe. And perhaps, just perhaps, Bruce Valeska, the monster of the underworld, held a sliver of something akin to mercy within him, a sliver influenced by the unwavering love for his mate.

Beryl's POV

The cafe was quiet and relaxing, the scent of baked goods filled the air. Lucas sat by the counter, gobbling down the latest batch of scones I baked. I looked at the beta with a smile and the slight shake of my head, thinking to myself how someone so feared and dangerous can look so harmless and childish eating some baked goodies.

"It's cute how you look so dangerous but yet look harmless right now" Lucas looked up and wiped the crumbs off his mouth and winked at me.

"You're not falling for me, are you?" Lucas smirked which made me roll my eyes

"You should be saying that to Kyle, not me" I smiled when his cheeks flushed pink. My intuition is never wrong. Speaking of the alpha, Kyle just entered the cafe and Lucas hurried to clean himself up. I giggled and headed for the bakery out back, cleaning the baking tools and placing the ingredients in their right place. I walked out int the cafe to see Mason and Esme coming into the cafe.

"Nice of you to drop by" Esme rolled her eyes and mason offered me an apologetic smile. Lucas looked at Mason for a long beat before making an O shape with his mouth and pointed at him.

"You're the guy I saw last time" Mason chuckled and waved at him. Kyle looked between them and shot a pointed look at Mason. The poor guy shrinked back and hid behind Esme. I looked between them and whacked Kyle with the washcloth I held.

"Stop glaring at him" Kyle sighed and rubbed his head, apologizing for his rude behavior. Mason nodded but still kept a distance from the alpha. Esme didn't seem confused to see two men with mafia practically written all over them in the cafe.

"Bodyguards?" She asked, going over to make a cup of coffee. I sighed and nodded, glancing at them.

It's better than having some bald strangers guarding me

A/N
Hello muffins ✨
University isn't as fun as the movies tell me
But anygay, see you in the next chapter 💞