Chapter 3

Two months had passed with Derek in the academy. He was now lounging in a comfortable armchair in the club room with his eyes closed. Reggie had given up trying to extort any ideas from this new council member but Hans took a different stance.

"Hey you, you should give some ideas for the Spring festival?" Hans yelled at Derek who didn't move an inch and continued to snooze. Unable to stand it Hans took a book from the table and threw it at Derek who caught it in his hand with his eyes closed. He yawned and stretched his arms "I didn't know this club was an assassin club."

"Who-who do you think you are calling an assassin?" shouted Hans even more infuriated and the other club members shook their heads in silence knowing this would go on for a while. Derek smirked "So it was you? How should I punish you?" he pointed a finger playfully as Hans shouted him to stop. Reggie intervened "Derek, since you are a member of the club I suggest you involve in the activities. This could help the year-end performance."

"Listen, I remember I told you that if you want me to join then you need to follow my condition."

Reggie sighed and nodded "Hans, now do you understand? Derek prefers us to make our own ideas."

"Indeed Reggie, you understand me the best."

Reggie snorted and went back to the meeting, discontent Hans could only glare at the figure that had retreated to sleep and did the same. Suddenly the door to the Club room opened and a tall boy walked in with a stealthy step. Everyone at first frowned at the newcomer's undignified entrance and then realizing who it was they got up hastily "Your highness, the son of the light of Waze, welcome."

Prince Edgar grinned "No need for formalities. The academy does not welcome the use of titles." His last statement sounded somewhat grudging as if he did not really agree with it. Those who knew him closely knew the smile on his face was merely for show.

"Your highness, I am sorry we didn't prepare an appropriate welcome," said James Drake who was the son of a powerful magician's family and who usually held his position as the leader of the club in a very passive attitude.

"That's alright, you may continue what you were doing," his eyes landed on the figure still unmoved by his appearance and which irritated him slightly "Looks like the son of Duke Manor does not like my presence." His tone was icy cold and sent a chill down Hans spine.

With his words lazily Derek opened his eyes and got up "Looks like I chose the worst place to sleep. I will be crossing this place out of my list."

Prince Edgar didn't hide his anger this time "How dare you-"

"Oh your highness, you were here," said Derek looking at him with a smile "Did you get lost? You are quite late."

"Derek!" warned Reggie "Be respectful." Though these powerful nobles held a lot of power they didn't dare to openly challenge the power of the imperial family nor disrespect them knowing fully well the works of the "Chasing spies" belonging to the regal family which were capable of taking care of any obstructions. Only Derek Manor would dare to act this way possibly because they knew each other from a very young age and also possibly because his majesty openly showed support to Derek over his own son which was to a secret only they knew, leading to rumors he was an illegitimate prince.

"What's wrong Reggie? I was just inquiring if his highness had any difficulty in his journey."

"Thanks for your concern Derek," replied Edgar regaining his composure "I just came to see how the club was running."

"Indeed, as the soon to be leader of the club that is to be expected."

James who was listening wanted to leave soon. He couldn't wait to hand over the duties to the crown prince and get back to his experiments so he said quickly "Your highness, I have prepared all the files here. Please take care of them and Reggie will help you. I-I have an appointment." James rushed out of the room leaving everyone stunned and Derek walked towards the door with a laugh "Looks like the meeting is over."

                                                                  -------------------------------------

I picked up the daisy and stared at the sparkling water in the fountain with a smile. It was quite silent and I longed for silence at the moment away from hearing about spells, algorithms and Penny's gossips. I just longed for some time alone and I was happy I found a place for it.

But after fifteen minutes had passed, I felt someone watching me so I turned and found Derek standing under the maple tree and watching me silently. The shadow from the tree made his appearance seem menacing but when he walked up to the light, I saw he was just smiling at me.

"I didn't want to disturb you," he said politely and I shook my head "It's nothing. Why are you here? Aren't the club members holding a meeting?"

He grinned "who'd want to listen to a boring talk you have to listen at the regal banquets again and again?"

I knew he was alluding to the crown prince who also, contrary to my expectations had arrived at the academy a month after Damien did. And already the crown prince was lording over the students. "You should be careful. The crown prince does not like insults."

"Are you worried about me?" he asked coming closer as I took a step back and denied "Not that, I was just telling."

"Since you are not worried about me, I don't need to worry either then."

"No I mean-" I paused and saw the twinkle in his eyes "You- whatever, just be careful. You don't act like a prefect at all."

He chuckled "So will that make you not like me?"

"It's not that but-" I hesitated and his gaze seemed quite sad but also hopeful "I expected you to be more serious so I am slightly surprised."

"Hmph is this because of the title of my family name or - " he leant his head forward "Have you known me?"

I froze to the ground for a minute but quickly shook my head "No, I-I heard rumors that the Duke Manor's family had very disciplined warriors and I have heard from my father that Duke Manor is a very serious person so I came to that conclusion. I am sorry."

He patted my head with a smile "You didn't do anything wrong, why are you apologizing? Edith...why aren't you in the club? You are from a good family too."

I diverted my gaze to avoid answering. The reminder of a bad memory still occupying my mind became clearer for a second and I wanted to forget. Sensing my reaction, he said softly "It's ok if you do not want to tell. I was just curious. Shall we go eat some macaroons?"

I nodded and we walked towards the cafeteria, Derek for some reason always knew what my favorites were even though I hadn't told him before. When I asked him, he only replied that he had observed me while we had tea parties and had taken note of what I liked. I did try to believe him and decided not to bother about it too much.

While we were having cocoa and macaroons, Wendy came into view and she gave me a book with a smile. "Well Edith, congratulations, the professor has accepted your topic for research. You can now go study the 'Plant growth magic'."

I smiled and thanked her, then knowing she probably hadn't had tea yet I asked her to join us. Just then Derek interrupted "Edith, I have something important to tell you so would Miss Wendy have tea by herself?" I glared at him feeling his rudeness. He didn't budge though and gave a cold glance at Wendy as if he wanted to slap her which made me very confused. In the past life, even if Derek didn't fall for Wendy, he was still quite polite to her. His obnoxious behavior and lazy idling attitude continued to surprise me but I didn't want to offend Wendy so unnecessarily.

"Wendy, you can take a seat. Please forget what he said," I said firmly giving a warning glare at him who was about to protest. Wendy took a seat after glaring at him too, wondering what she had done so much to upset someone but she and I ended up talking about the classes as Derek left giving an excuse about some appointment