Chapter 12

(Back to Edith's pov)

The sound continued, I stared at Derek who was still covering my mouth with an intense gaze directed at the entrance of the cave.
I saw his eyes change color from black to gold and something appeared in his hand which he threw to the entrance.
He slowly removed his hand from my mouth as the whistling reduced.
Then he got up, I clung to his hand "Where are you going?"

He smiled "I need to find out what's going on. Stay here like a good girl."

Before I knew it, I was alone in the cave. He had somehow teleported outside. I walked to the entrance to find the barrier he had cast earlier making the place invisible. This meant he had used a lot of magic as if he was completely OK. Wait a minute... Did I get fooled?

Two hours went by with no news. I wondered if he went to look for Cory. Somehow my body was growing tired and I decided to lie near the smooth stone inside the cave to get some rest.
Later, I opened my eyes hearing the constant patter of the rain.
Then I saw a figure approaching the cave quite slowly and felt relieved, thinking it was Derek. But it was Cory, he was injured as he clung to his abdomen and limped on weakly.
I quickly went to help him though he didn't seem to be much conscious of me.
He leant against the wall and breathed heavily. I knew I had to treat his injuries somehow so I went to my knapsack to see what else was there.
Seeing my hastily packed magical medical herbs, I felt better. I was in the process of removing Cory's coat to cut his shirt open when I jumped at Derek's voice "What are you doing?"

I turned to face him. His expression was fierce and he didn't smile. Maybe he thought I was trying to take Cory's life. "He's heavily injured. He needs treatment."

Though his expression relaxed, the glare he had been giving to my hand which was on Cory's coat did not cease or waver. I decided to ignore it and continue but as soon as I turned to my patient, I felt him firmly grab me by the shoulders and lift me up. Then he laid me down gently away from the patient.
After the surprise diminished with the seconds, I shouted "What are you doing? Isn't he your friend? He needs medication."

"I can treat him," Derek said calmly while removing Cory's coat and then cutting open the wounded area. Already the patient had lost conscious.
But I grew angry "So? Are you saying I am not good at it?"

"No..." He only said that and didn't even try to explain. I was about to shout again but then it kind of hit me. Was Derek really... Jealous.
I saw he was focusing entirely on the wound now. Cleaning and disinfecting it. His previous cold expression has fully relaxed and I could only hide my laugh.

He sensed my mirth "Why are you laughing?"
"Nothing... Just..." I said looking away and he gave me a puzzled look and stood up "He's fine now. You should go back soon before the creatures wake up again."
"Tell me, did you find who made the sound?"
He smirked and I couldn't read his eyes "What do you think? I am not going to tell you. Go back quickly."

If I didn't need to go back to check on Pam then I would have stayed just to deny him. His actions continue to annoy me as if he would have survived without me.

"Don't make such a cute frown. It won't let you stay here."

I ignored his tease and packed my stuff. Just as I was about to head out he grabbed my wrist "You can go this way."

Good thing Wendy was not in the room or I'd have to explain how I teleported. I blinked around the room and wanted to yell at him for the abrupt mode of transportation. I didn't have much time to think when someone knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked through the closed door, feeling wary after the kidnapping incident.

"Lady Edith, it is me Reggie Will."

I opened the door and he stood there with his stoic expression. There was a certain charm in him other than the good looking face and that the other male leads didn't have and it was the calmness which withstood the heaviest blow. I have never seen someone so calm before and no wonder Penny has such an interest in him.

He gave a cold smile and I came out of the room to talk. There was no one in the corridor and I wondered what he had to say. "Lady Edith, would you like to join the Oculus club? Prince Edgar told me to ask you."

I widened my eyes "Why did he tell that?"

"I think with your status Lady Edith it is quite suitable to join as a member. His highness probably thinks you can be a role model to the other team members."

It sounded ridiculous to me. I hated club activities as I didn't like the extra work it gave me. I couldn't possibly tell that to him and I was surprised at the CP's sudden interest in my status.

"I am sorry but I don't think I can join Club Oculus Reggie," I said with a slight smile "I have many classes and I don't think I would really be of any use."

He grinned making me surprised at his rare expression. "You are quite honest, Lady Edith."

I laughed "Well, can I not join? I mean if-"

"Don't worry, I will explain to his highness." Reggie said easily accepting the answer as he already knew Edith didn't like club activities and he had already tried to explain it to the prince about fifty times and another one more time wouldn't matter.

I smiled "Thanks then."

He was about to leave but then he turned around again "Do you have any news about Derek?"

I remained silent for a moment before answering "Not much, but there seems to be a little trouble."

"He will come back safely," he reassured and walked away.

                                    ------------------------------------------------------

Derek glanced at Cory who stirred while his face distorted with pain. "Buddy, you will be fine," he laid a hand on Cory's shoulder who opened his eyes to look at his friend. "Derek...you...you alright?"

"Yes, thanks to my lovely Edith, I am fine."

Cory made a face "You must be happy...I-I couldn't even get near the damn cave. "

Derek grinned "Don't worry, I can use teleportation now."

"How?"

"The portion Edith gave me, maximizes magic power," he said "She might not know it but my magic has increased significantly so I can teleport against the magic of the mountain."

"Whoa! where did she get that? Don't tell me..."

Derek frowned "She must have gone to buy forbidden items. I have to find out when I get back. I will go and get the diamond now."

He arrived in the cave but then a loud rumble came from within. A giant dragon was charging straight at him.