Chapter 14

Pam stood a little to the side. The horse was quite difficultly controlled. She smiled at the rider "Your highness, it seems your horse needs more training."

Edgar was annoyed "What do you mean? He was just panicking."

Pam shrugged, she didn't want to continue to talk to him but there was not much of a choice as she had come to visit Edith only to stumble upon the arrogant Prince who insisted she should see his horse and evaluate its skills.

Edgar was about to critique her action when a voice called them.
"What a horse? But my Rover cannot be defeated?" Another boy with orange hair was sitting on top of a brown horse and smirking at them.
Edgar was furious "How dare you-you commoner? You can never compare to my horse even if you work for 4oo years."
The boy on the horse was a little quiet at the words and before he could speak Pam was by his horse "Take me for a ride."

Cory was surprised, was this really the fierce daughter of Roster House. But he was inwardly pleased at her choosing him so he lent her a hand to aid her to sit in front of him.
Prince Edgar's expression meanwhile had distorted to immense hatred and shock.

"Lady Pamela, you-how dare you sli-"

"Are you comfortable, my lady?" asked Cory and Pam gave him a slight smile "Indeed, I hope it won't rain there seems to be a distant thunder."

Prince Edgar was driven speechless but he did not have enough time to retrieve his voice as Cory quickly swerved his horse and it galloped to the other side of the field.

Pam glared at the boy offering her a handkerchief. It was a rough ride and she had never enjoyed horse riding. It was all only to escape the association of that undesirable Prince.

Cory chuckled "My, lady Roster you still look stunning after such a fast ride."

She glared "Your horse has no tendency to be gentle I presume."

He sent a hand through his ruffled hair "He is selective. Like me."

She ignored him and handed him the handkerchief which he refused. "You can keep it, my lady."

She wanted to force it into his hand but thought the better of it and gave a slight bow "Thank you for your help earlier."

"Help?" he raised an eyebrow and she gave a smirk while her eyes remained cold "You know what I mean."

He somehow wanted to see some light in those lovely dark eyes. The stunning light glow from her silver hair wasn't helping him to look away from her.
"Are you done staring?"

He was jolted from his thoughts and felt slightly annoyed at himself. Never has he ever stared at a girl so much and he had met many beauties from around the world due to his job. He averted his gaze and said "I wasn't staring at how ugly you are."

Pam didn't mind the words this time as she bid him a cold farewell and walked away gracefully through the school courtyard. In her heart she had already abandoned a lot of things. Whatever remained was only for revenge. The only light in her life right now was Edith.

             ***********************

I ran and hugged Pam who acted like she didn't like it. But I knew Pam would miss it if I didn't give her a hug.
"Are you still a small child? You are already 16," she would scold me all the while stroking my hair like a mother and I would grin "You are a child too."

She sat down in front of me. We were seated in the guest lounge so we could talk privately. A small round table with a set of cakes and tea were already prepared by me.
"You know my favorites so well."

"Of course," I said and placed a cake on her plate. She smiled for a second and returned to her impassive state "Edith, I found some news about the kidnapping. It does seem the royals were not involved."
Pam lifted her cup and took a sip of the tea. She continued "Also while following the Countess there were indeed many suspicions. She seems to meet someone secretly in a bar called "Lavera". She goes in disguise, I also got information she maintains close contact with his majesty as well though the Tori faction seem to be quite distant with the Regal family. "

I had sensed she was up to no good. But I did not understand why she wanted to hurt me or my mother.
" Thanks Pam, you have found quite a lot. "

She frowned "It's not enough and this is all I can find...And I still don't have any news from him."

"Him?"

"I mean... an informant."

I narrowed my eyes "Hmm, this informant is close to you."

"Of course not, he is just an informant." Her eyes wavered slightly as if she was hiding something but I knew what she said was truth. It made me wonder about this informant.

"Fine Pam, if you get any more information tell me. Soon I have to go back home because of the annual banquet."

"Yes I will, looks like you already have someone to escort you there this time." She smiled at the necklace, I was wearing, it had a rose pendant with small rubies studded around it. I blushed a little, Derek had given it to me before leaving.
"What about you?"
"Oh I am sure my father has kept a long list for me to choose from. But I will have to accompany that annoying Prince."

I wanted to warn Pam away from him but she already shows only hostility to him making me wonder what she plans to do. "Well I hope you are careful."

"Don't worry Edith, I will give you a happy surprise soon."