Chapter 6

I glanced covertly over my book to see if the professor was still turned to the black board. I turned my head to look around and could not see his face. A slight tap on the shoulder jolted me from my thoughts and I found the professor giving me an inquiring gaze which I pacified with an awkward smile.

"He was not in class today," I murmured when Penny came running through the corridor and put an arm through mine.
"Hey Edith, have you heard that Cornea is going to throw a party next week."
I frowned "Cornea? What for?"
Penny looked at me in surprise "My... Edith. I've never heard such a disgusted tone from you before. Don't you like Cornea?"
I shook my head slightly "Maybe not, so what is it for?"
"Well she said its to make the newcomers relax. All pish-posh of course I mean the newcomers are not new anymore already two months have passed since the Crown Prince came here."
"You don't sound like you, like her much yourself."
"Oh well, is it because we are friends? Do we dislike the same people?" she tilted her head like a bird and I smiled.
"By the way Penny, have you seen Derek today?"
"Derek?" she repeated and then narrowed her eyes at me ready to tease me "Now why do you want to know about him, who has been following you around for the past few days."
"I just wanted to know," I remained stoic "It's fine if you don't know."
"Who says I don't," she crossed her arms "I think I heard two boys were locked in the cold cellar this morning as punishment for trying to go out of bounds from school."
"The cold cellar?" I panicked. If there was one thing Derek was vulnerable to then it was the cold. And the cold cellar had a mysterious magic to torture someone in the cold for hours without making them die but Derek was different from the average person due to some old disease he got as a child his immunity against the cold was weaker.

Before I knew it, I found myself in front of the Principal's office. I knocked lightly as my hand trembled. My palms were in cold sweat and the door remained unopen.
Then I turned the handle and went into the large study. The cold cellar had only one entrance and it was inside the Principal's office.
Slowly I moved towards the giant towering cupboards shut tightly. They covered the wall as if they were the wall itself. On the other side a large round table and chairs stood while a bunch of papers were stacked on the floor. I felt a slight pain in my chest which my heart was hammering against. When I heard a slow step and a familiar voice call my name.
"Edith, why are you here? Do you want to meet the Principal?"

I turned to him, his dark eyes were staring at me confusedly. Concern spread across his face when he saw my expression more clearly. A surge of relief rushed to my nerves and tears inadvertently gushed down my face. Already I was leaning against his arm and crying while he soothed me without any questions.

The warm mug of cocoa was not a useful companion when faced with a shameful situation as such. I dare not lift my eyes to him and my ears were still hot. He stood next to me in silence and it was between the door and me to prevent me from rushing out.
"Do you feel better now?" he asked suddenly making me jump as I held onto the mug.
"Ye-Yes thank you. I am sorry for troubling you."
"Why were you crying?" he asked quite tactlessly. I mean, he was like that before as well, if he had a question, he had to ask it even if it means it may not be an answer I could give.
I gave a short laugh "Sorry, I just... didn't feel too good to meet the Principal so I cried out of nervousness."
"Is that all?" he asked shortly and I looked up to see his serious face which was gazing at the wall.
"Yes that is all," I said automatically, sensing some coldness from his attitude.
He then turned to me. "Are you sure?" he asked again. His eyes seemed distant and not as interested as they were before. I was going to nod again when Penny came in and came to me worriedly.
"Why did you suddenly run like that Edith? As soon as you heard they might be in the cold cellar..." she caught sight of Derek and paused while Derek was now again looking at me. Something was beginning to dawn to him. Then his face brightened a little but I got up quickly "I need to get going," I muttered and dragged the open mouthed Penny with me out to the student lounge. 

                                                                          *****************

I could only manage to avoid him for a day and now he was walking straight towards me with a smile. "Edith, finally I found you, I guess you were busy these days," I heard the slight mockery of his last words but I gave a smile "Yes, I was a bit busy," I answered and he chuckled "I wanted to tell you that day I was slightly upset because I thought you were there to stop me."

"Stop you?" I asked confusedly and he gave a side smile "Yes, I thought you were going to stop me from meeting your mother. I was in the Principal's office to get permission to leave."

"Oh," slowly I began to see light "Then who were the two boys, Penny said were punished in the cold cellar."

"Oh them, that was from another grade," he brushed it off lightly and then lowered himself to get closer to my face "Did you think it was me? Did you come running because you were worried about me?"

I couldn't hide my blush and anger was only to myself for being so stupid. "I - I just thought I should worry for my classmate." After saying such, I quickly turned and went and he luckily didn't follow me. As soon as I was in my room I felt some relief, at least now he won't question me about it again.