Chapter 17

I was disappointed when Koora brought me a letter from Derek. He will be unable to attend the banquet as he is quite busy. I laid it aside and my maids finished helping me dress.

It was a lovely peach colored dress. Red and black stones glistened at the borders of the half shoulder sleeves and hem. I wore a simple Ruby necklace without earrings.
When I greeted my mother she smiled approvingly. She herself wore a gold dress and her hair was down to her shoulders.
My father came out from his study quite late and my mother held his arm and all three of us walked down together.
I felt my anger rising spotting Countess Tori in the crowd. My mother innocently went to hug and greet her. I was saved from causing a scene by Pam who held my hand and coaxed me "Not now dear, let's go see your friends."

I calmed down a bit. She wore a dazzling black dress with a shade of red on her sleeves. It had half shoulder sleeves like mine but as she was taller and older than me she looked gorgeous and mature.

I saw Penny, Hans and Reggie. Penny wore a shimmery sleeveless blue dress with a border of white pearls. She hugged me as I went near "Oh it feels like I haven't seen you for an year."

I chuckled "Don't exaggerate, how is everyone?"

"My mother is OK with the usual complaints and my brother and dad went fishing."

Hans came and gave a bow "Oh mighty beautiful lady Edith, thanks for inviting us to the banquet."

I giggled "Did your mother make you say that?"

He showed a shocked expression "How did you know? She said she wouldn't be giving me any dessert if I didn't."

Reggie slapped his shoulder "Enough joking. Lady Edith thanks for the invitation."

"I am glad you all came." I smiled and felt somewhat glad he wasn't acting differently after seeing me in that state. Penny, Pam and I continued talking about some of the latest gossip while Hans went to eat. And Reggie went to talk with the other noble heirs regarding academy developments.

The dancing commenced and my mother and father danced first. I saw her delight but from the usual banquets this time the dance was different. My father who usually joked and chatted with her remained quite silent while my mother made a few efforts to talk. The guests also noticed it but they put it aside to his tiring work and slowly entered the dance floor.
At the time Prince Edgar and Wendy arrived quite late to the ball. I looked at Pam but she gave a 'I don't care' smile and continued to watch the newly arrived couple.

The whispers of the guests were not inhibited. "Hey isn't Lady Roster the prospective crown princess why is his highness with a fallen noble's daughter."
"I know right"
"She can't compare to lady Roster."
"Don't talk nonsense, his highness is quite ruthless. Aren't you afraid of losing your head?"
"He is not the king yet, why should I be afraid?"

The whispers continued and Prince Edgar gave a stern glare quickly shushing the whole room. No matter what, he was still the only crown Prince of Waze and people still feared him. He glanced at Pam who was undisturbedly drinking some juice while watching the ongoing dances. I noticed Wendy giving his highness a cautious look as well.
He turned away quickly with a dark expression and Wendy leaned to him to whisper something. But he didn't seem to hear as if occupied by his own thoughts.
Wendy was wearing a high quality silver colored dress. It had a floral pattern in the middle and the embroidery seemed like the work of art only Regal family can afford.
I realized it was to trample Pam' s status but some noble heirs couldn't seem to take their eyes of Wendy who was consoling and smiling sweetly at the prince whose expression was hidden to me. It must be the power of the female lead to attract so many eyes.
Pam gave me a wink indicating she was going to go out for a walk and I saw my mother happily talking with Duchess Lambert and Duchess Will who were clever and beautiful. I was sure they would be good to her as well so quite relieved at seeing her happy I went to the balcony to get some fresh air.

Reborn again to change WHAT?जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें