Chapter 10

Pam got out from her carriage and looked up at the run down tower. The grey walls were breaking apart, a few black crows loitered the remaining pillars. With a hesitant step she entered the open door.

Opening her eyes it was a different realm. The Amber light from the candles drew in warmth to the cozy and sparse room with a small round table and two armchairs.
No trace of the broken exterior seemed connected to the interior. She sat on the armchair closest to her and then he appeared. The master controller of all underground information. His face was completely covered while a long black jacket and gloves hid any part of his skin. Only his black hair was visible.
The mask he wore showed two slots for the eyes and the grey mask had the shape of a dragon's face.

"I suppose you are here for business my lady." his tone was young and Pam knew she should get her work done quickly since she didn't want to cause suspicion to her loyal escorts waiting outside.

"Indeed, I need you to find someone. A criminal."

"Of course I would like to help a beautiful lady as you but we do not betray one of our own-" his words were cut short with the jingle of coins as a heavy pouch hit the table "Is that enough?"

He smirked "What crime has he done?"

"He has kidnapped an upper class lady to kill her. I can name the place she was found, would that be enough information?"

He leant back and joined the tips of both his hands together "My lady, why don't you go to the authorities? I don't deal with 'to be' criminals."

She gave a look "What? He is a kidnapper. He is still quite bad."

"I only deal with the worst ones. Besides you have no clue to relate to that person. I don't waste my resources."

"Why-you..." she paused, she knew he was right. He was notorious quite inconspicuously as to his field. But she was upset and wanted to protect Edith. "what do you want to find him?"

"Hmm maybe he should kill. Anyway I am quite busy. So please leave my lady."

"You are sending me away. Is this how you treat your clients?"

He got up and then froze. "Stop, you jerk!" her words rattled the empty walls. And he turned to her surprised, no woman has ever cursed him though many men have said the worst things. This was the first time a woman has talked to him this way. He had always thought he had intimidated them.

" You are not leaving yet."

She felt the room darken and a spark of lightening appeared with a loud thunder in front of her. She knew the power of the Master of Ego but she was not one to give up.

"I-I 'll give you a Red Coal mine. I know you have been looking for one."

His emotions seemed to regain control as the lightning ceased "A red coal mine?"

"Yes, if you find him then I will give it to you."

He sat back down, a tinge of sparkle appeared in his eyes through the gaps. He stared closely at the silver haired woman sitting in front of him.
"How do you know I was looking for one?"

She remained silent. It was her own secret and of course a secret no one knew and she was afraid to let anyone know. He chuckled "OK fine. A red coal mine is indeed tempting. Is that the only request you have?"

"I'll save the other request for later."
Pam got up feeling a sense of victory "I hope you succeed Master Ego."

                                   ----------------------------------------------------