Chapter 19

Derek was with his father now. Duke Basilisk stared at the young man standing in front of him. At the age of 20, boys were already considered men. Before he knew it, his son has already grown up.

"That is how it is Sir," ended Derek staring into the aged cold eyes which resembled his own. Yet he did not feel much towards his father who had broken his promise. During his last life he could not save Edith but this time it won't be the case.

"So you want to marry Lady Edith Whittling next week? Aren't you hasty?"

"Why not? She matches my status and I already gave my word from now on I will not obstruct you from making your illegitimate son your heir."

Duke Basilisk knew he had never treated Derek as his own son. He had always considered him a useful pawn, a tool for the use of his and his majesty's work. Derek's mother who had come from noble origin played on his inferiority complex as he was of ordinary birth. It was complicated, though he didn't love his wife, he couldn't bear the loss and regretted his thoughts and he didn't want to acknowledge the one son she gave birth to. How come they are so alike? Duke Basilisk scanned the face in front of him. Derek's appearance was mostly similar to him. But rather than reminding him of his youth, he reminded him of his wife.

Derek had no idea what the Duke was thinking. But he didn't fail to notice his unreadable expression which was a new sight to him.

"Sir?" he addressed him. Ever since he was young, he was ordered to call him that and never the word 'Father'.

Duke Basilisk drifted from his thoughts. "Are you sure then you will give up your rights as the heir and... and my son?"

Derek nodded ignoring the hesitance in the Duke’s tone "Indeed sir, after the marriage I will do so as I promise."

'His eyes, they show he has decided. I have failed yet again.' thought Duke Basilisk as he nodded after a while "Go ahead. I will inform his majesty."

Derek nodded formally and left after a short bow. Once he married Edith, he would be able to protect her and her family in his own way. Since he had ready given up the dukedom now he knew his majesty would no longer have any use of him so he would probably leave him alone for the time being.

It's not like he trusted the fact but he has some plans which would ensure his stability but before that he had to marry Edith.

          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Derek could only be surprised when the Sage of Illusion yelled at the man on the throne "Well, you've had your fun now. Get down from there."

The man on the seat grinned. He stepped down from the stairs and lifted off the crown from his head.
"You've finally come to freed me, master."

As soon as the crown dropped to the floor, he transformed to a large crimson bird about six foot with the tail of a lion.
The Sage patted its head and the bird vanished to a wisp of smoke. "Now... Derek it is up to you. As long as you win the battle between the Dark Creatures and Zeda Kingdom. The Kingdom will be yours."

"What do you mean, master? What happened to the King?"

He shook his head sadly in reply, he slapped my shoulder hard "Now get ready, you fool. Their troops are already near the city's main gate. Prepare for battle."

Derek was still speechless, this old guy brought him here to suddenly fight a battle. And with the Dark Creatures who were worse than the creatures of Bleak Mountain.

" What army do I have? "

The Sage whistled and the woman commander from earlier came inside. "Well, Trix he is your King from today on. Take him to the Commanders."

Trix knelt on one knee and bowed "All hail the King of Zeda."

"What-"
Her formalities ended quickly as she dragged Derek by his hand and took him quickly to where the military grounds stood.

Derek's eyes glinted powerfully behind his helmet. The armor fitted him perfectly as if he had been its rightful owner all along. He was a little unhappy as he was unable to see Edith for some time but all this time he had been facing the battles and planning strategies to evade these monsters who had also been his opponent in his last life though at a much later time.

So now after those tiring battles were conquered, the sage forced him to continue training. This was to send him on another mission and during the mission he heard about Edith's news from Cory.

His master was clearly unhappy about him having to go back but he didn't stop him. Already everything was handed over to him. Now it is all up to Derek to beware of the hidden enemy.