Chapter 7

His eyes squinted at the sun. Corey slapped his shoulder and grinned "Hey Derek, you seem to be in a good mood."

Derek smirked "None of your business, what did you find?"
"You were right about the diamond. My informant said its in the bleak mountains."
Derek smiled thoughtfully "His Majesty sure knows how to please his son. I am only their stepping stone. What did my father say?"

"He has agreed to let you take the lead."

"Of course, how can he dare to go against the royal order." A hint of bitter sarcasm was embedded in his tone so Corey chose to change the subject "What are we going to do about 'his' spies?"

"Let them follow us to the mountain, we can take care of them there. By the way, make sure to let the whole academy know we will leave for a month. We should do things in ceremony."

Corey chuckled and nodded. Then he thought quietly about the silent grave boy standing by his side. He had never expected the son of the Duke of Basilisk one of the most powerful Dukes of the Kingdom of Waze would come to form an alliance with him. He was indeed the best at getting underground information and he still couldn't forget the day Derek proved he was genuinely interested in an alliance and it was not a trap or disguise to get information or get him arrested.

                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I stared at Cornea who smiled brightly and offered me a book. I wanted to refuse but too many people were in the library and I didn't want to start a scene knowing she'd get back at me for refusing her well thought intention. She had coloured her blond hair pink like mine and this was something she had done in my previous life as well. She was shorter than me and fatter with a pimple on her chin.

I took the book, thanked her and went towards the other shelves when she began to follow me.
"Hey Edith, I am Cornea and I want to be your friend. Shall we be friends?" she asked it quite loudly and I was sure the whole library heard it.

A massive silence spared the next seconds as I tried to think of a polite way to reject her.
"Cornea, I don't think I was no friend of yours. But I am sure you have better friends than me after all we hardly know each other."

Whispers crowded after my reply and I didn't wait to hear any of it. Ignoring her shocked and upset face I went out of the library to where my next class was about to begin.
I got a slight headache which lasted throughout the lesson and then I found a small note slipped under the door of my room. It was from Derek and he wanted to meet me for a small chat in the greenhouse where students practiced plant growth magic.
I didn't really want to meet him but I found myself standing inside the greenhouse watching the swaying plants and waiting for him.

Suddenly, I felt slightly dizzy and then my body felt weak. When I opened my eyes I found myself in a dark cellar.
I tried to get up but my hands were tied behind my back. Realization and fear began to overcome my surprise and I desperately tried to get my hands free.

Then I heard a light ticking noise from  some distance. A thin stream of light appeared underneath the door facing me which I hadn't seen due to the darkness.
I wanted to shout but hearing the next words I hesitated "She's the girl. He wants her gone." The man's words were clear. The light diminished gradually as the ticking noise did the same. Feeling tired and uncomfortable, my head couldn't keep up anymore and before I knew it, I had already fallen asleep.

                     —--------------------------

"Derek!" Corey ran up the stairs indignantly and flung open the door as Derek was busy packing a small bag.
He finally took the bag and grabbed his sword ready to leave unbothered by his friend who was trying to block his way.
"You know it could be a trap. He must have planned it for some time. You mustn't underestimate Prince Edgar."

Derek gave a blank look at his friend "I must save her. If he even touches a hair of hers then I'll make sure to destroy all of Waze."

Corey still persisted knowing Derek's death glare could kill "You need to calm down. He won't kill her since he wants her as a hostage to get you to give him the diamond. If you go to Bleak mountain right now then you are only asking to die. Our plans will fail."

Derek shook his head "I can't leave her like that. I have to go. Don't worry I won't make trouble for you."

He pushed away Corey who was taken by surprise and couldn't dodge immediately. Then he rushed out of his room down the stairs and within seconds he was on his horse racing towards the forest. Corey's eyes darted to the white paper flapping to the wind where the words lay "ONCE YOU GET THE DIAMOND THEN SHE WILL BE FREE... DAUGHTER OF THE WHITTLING MANSION IS WAITING FOR YOU..."