Chapter 20

Pam was walking in the street. She took in a deep breath, trying to lessen the suffocated feeling she had been exposed to the last few days. Her father had tried to keep her within the house. It was because he got the news of the broken engagement, he was somewhat afraid of the scrutiny of the other nobles.

Finally she got out her own way. Her mother willingly covered up for her and now she was out to feel some liveliness. Edith's letter to her made her relieved. She only hoped the rest would go well for her as well.

A grimy boy suddenly bumped onto her. She gave a glance and the boy shrank, after all she did have a piercing stare due to her natural cold eyes.
"Sowy," the boy said and quickly ran away. She sighed and turned to look at the stalls selling colorful necklaces.
She raised a hand to touch her own precious keepsake of her grandmother but only felt her skin.

Her eyes widened, then she remembered the boy. She ran to the direction he went. Her Knight and maid who were watching her began to chase her as well.
She ran faster and even managed to squirm through a crowd.
She couldn't lose it. It was very important to her. She forgot her aching feet and went searching the small lanes with small children playing in them.
It was later she realised she had come to an abandoned sort of alley. The huts and houses were worn out or broken. A musty smell filled the air. She felt fear amidst her heavy breath and wildly beating heart.
She looked around and saw no one behind her. Slowly she moved forward and then saw the tall shadow of someone approaching her from a side path. She wanted to run but stopped hearing her name "Pam... Pamela..."

She turned and noticed the grey dragon mask appearing to the fading sun light. She took a step near and saw him clutching his abdomen and leaning to support himself up against the wall.
Without thinking she went to him and held his arm."Are you alright? What are you doing here?"

He smirked "Being chased by chasing spies."

"Why are they chasing you? No I mean... How can they, when you are so powerful?"

He still smiled beneath the mask "I am glad you think I am powerful." His breath was growing slower, she noticed it "You need treatment, let's go to a hospital."

He nodded while dragging his breathe in and out. Pam let him lean on her and took much of his weight to her small body.

"He will be fine but he needs to be in bed for at least five days."

The doctor finished bandaging and she saw Cory's displeased expression.

She thanked the doctor who allowed them to rest in the room next door.

"So it was you all along?" she asked bringing him back to the Earth.

He gave an awkward smile "I have to hide my identity to avoid threats like... This?"

"Did it work?"

"Seems not."

He stared at her as she absently ran a hand near her neck. "Why were you in a place like that?"

"I-I was chasing someone. Someone stole my necklace."

He frowned "Shouldn't you be more cautious? It's not a place for young girls."

"I didn't expect to go there. I just-"

"You should at least have a knight with you. Do you know how dangerous that was?"

"Stop yelling," said Pam angrily "Look here, I am not the one lying on bed. Don't act like you know me."

She slammed the door and left the room. Cory ran a frustrated hand through his hair. He was clearly worried for her, why the heck did he keep scolding her. He knew she must not have purposely gone unguarded but yet... Now she was going to be mad at him. He couldn't even thank her for helping him.

He leant back in his pillow and tried to close his eyes. Hearing the door open he joyfully called out her name only to find Derek with a smirk.

"She won't be coming in anytime soon. Not with the thundercloud above her head."

"Is she that mad?"

"What did you say to make your girl angry?"

"I didn't try to make her angry. Anyway is your girl angry too, is that why you bothered to come here?"

"My Edith is the sweetest, it's hard to make her angry though... When she does get angry its unimaginable but she's unlike everyone else."

Cory grew annoyed "Stop it, so why'd you come here?"

"Got something to tell you. And from now on, I am no longer a Basilisk."

"What? Did you father kick you out?"

"I kicked myself out. I will tell you the plan quickly. But the person behind the scenes, I don't really know what he wants but I already have a way to catch him. Also since the royal spies are after you, you will have to change places.".

"Change places?"

"Yeah, you sure going to like it. And for now recover soon. The spies may come again so don't stay here. If you want I can..."

"No need," said Pam entering the room. She seemed to have heard the latter part of their conversation "He will stay at Roster house. I am sure to get father's permission."