Chapter. 8

It was dark everywhere, silent like a graveyard. This Freeland once were small towns, occupied by people those who want to live peaceful life away from the city hustle. After the war it became a barren land, a graveyard of abandon houses and dreams. The conditions were far tougher then inside the sector premises. The inhabitants of Freeland out casted here twenty years ago. They were the raise who their voices against Rosharps subjugation. They refused social class division system commonly known as SCDS protocol, proposed by Rosharps.

Their leader demanded equal treatment for every person, and have free will to choose their life style. The war survivor were in greater number, Rosharps used influencer, and leader and their other resources to control bevel the raising voice. When Rosharps took over U.P.E, there first task was to conduct referendum for SCDS protocol. Rosharps cut through with the great margin. The streets were flooded with protesters after SCDS protocol initiated. U.P.E deployed curfew to control the protest. Soon the curfew became street violence. The authorities declared to take possession of every firearm from the colonist. Those who refuse to submit their weapon they were thrown out into Freeland. Several U.P.E officials were injured during the crowd out break in curfew, weapon collection and in street crimes.

It took around two years to divide people according to protocol and allocate resources. The first command center was became operational in Wisconsin. And within few months sixteen states joined it. The unused area around the command quarter and sectors were declared as Freeland. Oppose were ostracized from command quarter and forced to live in Freeland without food, medicine and other necessities. Many of those came back to authorities for another chance, some of them were managed to get back in, but they were declared sector colonist for the life time. Nikko have seen these thing, he lived through these times.

He was twelve and live with his grandmother, who worked in one of the U.P.E laundry facilities. His grandmother always told him not to go against the rules of U.P.E. She considered this life as a blessing where they survive they war and have they a job and a roof over their heads. Nikko was always fascinated by the life style of command quarter people lifestyle. They do less work and have more time to enjoy, while people like him worked fourteen hours a day to make enough that they can manage their lives in sector. Nikko never stepped in Freeland not even by mistake for longer period or illegal sector travel, until now where he was sitting next to the vary person who served in U.P.E for number of years, and thrown hundreds of people in the Freeland over those years. This was not his first time here with Jack, they been here for scavenging random stuff. Nikko looked at Jack, he was sitting calm and quietly on passenger side, looking outside the window. They were not talking to each other since they left the sector premises.

"Can I switch on headlights now?" asked Nikko, breaking the silence.

"Do you want them to track us?" crossed Jack, and pointed upwards with his finger.

Nikko knows that Jack was talking about the drones, they always patrolled in Freeland near the command quarter parameter to track trespassers.

"But we are in the streets," Nikko said, "they hardly looked here."

"Not talking about drones," said Jack, "its surveillance satellites that I am worried about."

Nikko thought there were no more operational satellites left in the sky left since most of the space centers were destroyed in the war, communications were controlled by comm towers and hardware.

"They told us that technologies was gone after the war?" asked Nikko.

"If it's gone then how come the accurately marked all hot zones and radioactive zone borders on the land?" asked Jack.