❀ moments before the final showdown ❀

‧° ‧₊˚y/n pov ˚₊‧° ‧

Dogday helped me back up on my feet once I had calmed down, my head still pounding from the ebbing adrenaline. He held my arm for a moment to make sure I didn't fall back down.

The phone, still attached to my belt loop, suddenly rang. I picked it up and held it to my ear. "Ollie?" I said in a weak voice. "Y/n! Somethings gone wrong. Grab that cord from the counselor's office and plug it in underneath the statue! We need to reach 100%!"

I give my alright and proceed to use the flares to light my way back to the front of the counselors' office. Dogday stayed close to my side, which I didn't blame him. I grabbed the extension word and began scaling past the dark rubble down into the generators under the statue.

I plugged it in and Ollie sent us a new key. He instructed us to find the flower power box, which contained another extension cord. We found it and plugged it in under the statue. Ollie then sent us a huge battery to bring to the gas production zone.

I cracked my knuckles and wrapped my arms around the battery, grunting and groaning as I tried to lift the battery up. I tried and failed multiple time as even the grabpack couldn't pick it up without it slipping.

"Here, let me handle it." Dogday interjected and took the battery in his paws, holding it on his shoulder like it weighed nothing. I huffed and crossed my arms, looking off to the side. "I could've gotten that with another try." 

Dogday tilted his head and gazed at me with his half-lidded eyes. "Sure." He chuckled.

We began our travel to the gas production zone, shooting flares along the way and keeping a sharp eye out for uncanny sounds or movement. I had lost my gas mask when I was knocked out, so practiced holding my breath along the way if such a situation arose.

When we finally made it, dogday handed the battery to me and turned his back to me, gripping his weapon in his paw. With a struggling groan, I plugged the huge battery into the wall. 

I turned, only for the scraping sounds of the gate opening to fill the damp air and the gaping smile of catnap towering over us. I watched in horror as smoke began to escape his mouth. Without wasting another second, me and dogday ran to the lift on the far side of the wall. 

I cupped my hands over my nose, immediately tripping over myself as I heard catnap's thundering  pawsteps near. Not far behind me, dogday immediately scooped me up into his arms and sprinted to the lift.

We slammed into the wall as the lift doors scraped shut, dogday clunched me in his arms tightly, and I secured my hands over my mouth and nose again as red smoke filled my vision. 

I opened my eyes to see catnap, now in a much more hideous form, scaling his way up the lift- his eyes pinned of me and dogday cowering before him. He was even more disturbing now, his skin and fur wrapped tight around his bones and his smile stretched an awful amount. The sounds of the rusty lift ascending and catnap's talons hooking onto the metal made my ears nearly bleed, and I could hear dogday's labored breathing as he kept eye contact with the monster.

Finnaly, the lift stopped and catnap disappeared from view as the gas production room left our sight. Dogday still held my tightly, and I could feel his body shaking.

I gripped onto his fur, catnap's hideous new form flashing before my eyes. Though not hating the feeling of dogday holding me in his arms, I patted him as I gesture to let me down. He did so, gently.

The red smoke was still everywhere, but my eyes fixated on a glint of light on the floor. I reached down and saw another gas mask. It was slightly worn, but better then having to navigate out of here tripping balls. I secured it on and took a deep breath of semi-clean air.

I stared off into the distance for a moment, all shock and weariness leaving my body as it was now replaced by bitter, boiling anger. I gripped the grabpack handle in my calloused hand and narrowed my eyes through my mask.

I looked back at dogday, who was still slightly shaking, but his eyes were sharp and filled with what looked like a strange new type of anger. He nodded to me, saying without words that he was fine.

We rounded the corner, only to be met with a old computer screen that read in bold green letters:  CATNAP IS COMING- BE READY

I read the text carefully and took a deep breath. "Alright then..." I said, my voice slightly muffled by the gas mask. Dogday stepped to my side, his eyes narrowed at the words and the jagged pipe gripped tightly in his paws. 

"let's kill this fucking cat."

₊˚. end of chapter nine