❀ what a heavenly way to die ❀

‧° ‧₊˚y/n pov ˚₊‧° ‧

We began to follow the instructions of the screen, preparing for catnap's ambush. I assumed it was ollie communicating to us through the screen (which in the heat of the moment, I didn't question). Ollie told us that there were batteries that we had to activate to turn on steam, which would fend off any hallucinations of catnap I were to have- dogday would play a big part in telling me which hallucination was just a vision of catnap or the real deal. We ran around frantically, making absolute sure we knew the entire layout of the room and what batteries went in which slot to turn which steamer on. Once the alarms began to sound, the battle began.

The quaking thump of catnap's paws against the ground thundered all around us. Dogday kept a sharp eye out as I placed batteries into steamers as needed as he replaced the batteries to the main computer when the buzzer began to go off. Catnap screeched every time he was blocked with a steamer, which only added to the myriad of obnoxious sounds clamoring in my head.

I could feel sweat rolling down my face, my muscles burning and my head pounding as the minutes of relentless attack dragged by. Suddenly, the harsh glare of artificial light blinded me from above, and when I blinked myself back to reality, I saw the horrifying face of catnap in one of the large steam vents.

I readied my grabpack and closed the ceiling hatch before it could fully open, then shouted at dogday, who was replacing a steamer battery. "He's trying to attack from above!" I yelled above the blaring alarms and hissing of steam. 

The room was heavy with humidity, making it hard to breath as my pace slowed. I could hear catnap's loud pawsteps from one of the hallways and used the grab pack to boost myself up, charging up the hand to activate the steam, sending him scurrying off once again.

My head loud with the rushing of blood and my muscles sending messages that my brain couldn't decipher, I clicked the grabpack button too late as I stepped off the platform and my body was sent on a hard descent downward. My body hit the cement ground like a ragdoll and I felt a tearing sensation in my ankle. I shouted in anger and pain, my sounds still mostly muffled by the gas mask. Though through all the noise, dogday's ears perked up and he rushed to my aid. He grabbed my hand and hoisted me upward, my knees buckling on themselves as he caught me and held me standing up. 

My breaths escaped in gasps and spurts as I slit my blurry eyes towards above the main computer, where I saw the main character buzzing crackling and crackling with energy. Wasting not even a moment, I switched the grabpack hand to green and shot it at the charger.

Both me and dogday were launched backwards by a wave of electricity, though it passed through my body before I could even feel it. My eyes were again drawn to the glaring light above, though it was blocked out when I saw catnap crawling out of it in a terrifying spider-like way. He rushed at us, and I immediately clicked the extend button on the charged hand once again.

It hit him, and his body erupted in spasms and shrieks as he clutched his chest with his large clawed paw, veins of green electricity crackling all over his body. He collapsed onto the ground, still spasming as he tried to reach for us. But just as his claws were inches away, red smoke began to leak out of his stitchings before his body exploded into a ball of wailing fire.

Me and dogday stared, mouths open and horrified as catnap slammed into the walls and floor, his faux purple fur being eaten up by the flames in seconds. Sparks flew as dogday secured his ears to the side of his head to muffle the awful sounds, but not managing to pry his grieving eyes off of his friend...

But suddenly, catnap stopped. All of his fur was singed off, leaving only dark and exposed silicone and metal as smoke continued to billow off his body. I looked up at the light above and my breath caught as I saw the infamous clawed hand...the prototype. 

Catnap stumbled back at first, the prototype seeming like an awful memory to him as he flinched away from his touch. But it offered its hand, almost in a friendly way. Catnap proceeded to then slowly stumble up onto his knees, extending his arms and lifting his head proudly. My eyes narrowed, wondering what he could be doing right before the prototype pierced through catnap's mouth all the way to the back of his head. Me and dogday simultaneously flinched.

Blood spurted out the back of his head. Catnap's body went limp as his arms fell to his sides and his body leaned backward. The prototype curled his spindly fingers as to not let catnap slip off, and then lifted him up like he weighed but a pound. Both catnap and the prototype then disappeared into the light before closing with a deafening slam of the ceiling hatch.

Me and dogday just sat there for a moment, taking in what had happened. I could suddenly feel the throb return to my ankle, and I hissed in pain. Dogay turned his head to me and propped me more upwards. "Angel! Are you alright?" He asked carefully, laying his weapon beside him as he gently took my battered face in his paws.

I didn't say anything, instead simply looking up into his dark eyes, as I could tell only through his voice what he was feeling. His fur was matted with humidity and grime and the texture of his paws were worn and scratched. I could see his pupils shaking every so slightly as he forced himself to keep his voice steady. I have him a solemn, but acknowledging look- and he looked down at the floor. "I'm sorry..."  he said quietly.

"I'm sorry..." I breathed out, shakily reaching one hand up to hold his face like he did mine. I could remember all the old episodes of smiling critters I would catch glimpses of- dogday and catnap having the most bizarre and wild adventures throughout the years. To see such a friend turn into one of your worst nightmares was a thought to be plagued by, and dogday had been the one living it. He leaned into me and buried his face in the crook of my neck and I closed my eyes- finally taking even a little solice in knowing that the ruins of the playtime factory were just a little bit safer...

but not for long.

₊˚. end of chapter ten