Hurt

We are playing the last game against Notre Dame, we have had a huge rivalry between them, and the entire game they've been trying to injure Paige. But this is where it got bad. With 40 seconds left in the game, Paige is dribbling up the court when she slips, extending her leg. She gets up and tries to run it off, but I can tell something is wrong. Before I can react, she passes the ball and collapses on the court right in front of the bench.

I immediately rush over and bend down to her. She's holding her left knee and crying in pain as Janelle runs over, too. The whole arena is quiet.

"Hey, it's okay, I'm here," I say, grabbing her right hand as the rest of our teammates make a wall around us to give her privacy.

"It hurts so bad," she cries out, squeezing my hand
"I know, baby, it'll be okay, I promise." Janelle starts giving us all orders.
"Okay, Sky and someone else, I need you guys to help lift her up and carry her to the end of the bench," she says after looking at her knee for a few minutes

"I'll do it," Evina says, stepping forward

"Try to keep her left knee stable," Janelle says. I wrap one of my arms on Paiges back and the other under her thigh. We stand up, holding Paige up as if she's sitting in a chair, as the whole arena starts clapping and we start walking over to the bench. "It's okay, I promise." I say speaking to paige. We ended up winning the game 54-73, but that was my last concern. I really wanted paige to be okay. I stayed by her side the entire time until Janelle came back and told us the news.
"Do you want the good news or the bad news first?" Janelle asks

"Bad news," Paige says immediately

Janelle takes a deep breath before saying, "You tore your ACL," Paige starts crying  as I squeeze her hand, trying to comfort her.

"And the good news?" She asks.

"You should only be out for 6-8 weeks depending on how long physical therapy takes, which means you still have a chance of playing this season," Janelle says

"Do I need surgery?" Paige asks through tears

"It's up to you. If you don't get it, your knee can still heal, but we don't know how close to perfect it will get. But if you do get the surgery, we will be able to go in and make sure everything will heal correctly." She says before adding. "I'll go call your parents and tell them what's happening."

With that, she leaves the room, and I hug paige. I wish I could take her pain away. I finally speak, "Do you know if you're gonna get the surgery or not."

"I'm not sure yet, but I think I'm going to get it." She says as she stops crying before speaking again."Promise me you won't leave."

"I won't ever leave you, never again." I say, smiling at her. "I love you, paige buecker."

"I love you too, Ivy Holloway