Casey for Governor?

GMA

Video of Gracie performing "Second Chance" alongside Brent Smith

Cut to Michael in studio

Michael Strahan: One of the most talked about names in music right now is Gráinne Pattinson and this weekend, fans will get a very rare look into her life on tour and away from the road with Jersey Girl Meets World, a documentary that follows the now 18-year-old phenom who won our hearts on NBC's The Voice in a way that only one person can show it, her dad.

Trailer from Jersey Girl Meets World

Michael: And of course we're joined by the director of Jersey Girl Meets World, Robert Pattinson. So this was a year in the making.

Rob: It was. Gracie wanted to show all the high points as well as a lot of the heartbreak and I worked along with her crew to do that.

Michael: I heard how you spent a whole summer on the road with Gracie.

Rob: Best summer vacation I had. (laughs) I got to where I took my youngest with me and I still remember one day we're in Germany when these girls spotted me and said, "THERE'S GRACIE'S DAD!" It's really a crazy thing for me because my oldest kids always had to deal with fangirls getting excited because they saw me and now Michael is dealing with people getting this way about his sister. But we take it in stride and of course my kids are all graceful enough to know why everyone is clamoring for our attention.

Michael: I know that you said that the one thing you and the family always do is find ways to interact with the fans. I know Katie, Jaxon, and Dion all interact with them on social media and you along with Casey send messages to the members of Gracie's fan club which you said you never thought you'd do. Why is that?

Rob: I always had this way of trying to keep my personal life separate from my work but in the last few years, I have seen some pretty massive things with this family. Katie is on her way to compete in Miss America, Jaxon opting to enter the NBA Draft draft a year early, and now Gracie with this venture. For me, this is very much uncharted territory because as we know, I try to keep it where our kids had as much of a quiet life as they could growing up, I don't have a personal social media account that is public, and even in my marriage, there's a lot that happens that no one really knows about. The last time I went public like this was when Katie did Somewhere Under Heaven but I always said that when it came to Casey and the kids, everyone knows how proud I am of them.

Michael: Gracie is the one that shocked you though.

Rob: She is. When she won The Voice, I was thrilled but I didn't think she would get to this point and a lot of that has to do with what Island Records did in the end by not signing her to a full contract. 

Michael: We also found out that this is what led to Brent Smith quitting The Voice.

Rob: Brent was furious when he heard about this. The day Island Records dropped Gracie, he called me and said, "I want you to be the first to know that I did not renew my contract to appear on The Voice. Also, since I worked with Gracie on this, I was able to buy back her music from Island." He got it where now he and I jointly own the rights to Gracie's music and he went so far as to send a demo to a couple of friends at Atlantic Records which Shinedown is signed to. Two days later, I get a call saying that they want to sign her to a record deal.

Michael: We always talk about Brent because not only was the Gracie's mentor but you were telling me he's kind of become part of the family.

Rob: The thing Casey and I always loved about Brent Smith is that he treats Gracie like he would his own daughter. He's also become a family friend and every time he's in New Jersey, he's always paying us a visit.