Inauguration: Part II

NJ PBS coverage

Melissa Rose Cooper: We are continuing our coverage of the inauguration of New Jersey governor, Casey Pattinson and Lt. Governor Kofi Jones. Just a short time ago, we saw the governor elect joined by her son Michael, nephew Jalen Kelly, and her husband, actor Robert Pattinson entering the War Memorial along with numerous dignitaries and members of the family.

Cut to interior shot of the War Memorial

Melissa (VO): We are now watching as the dignitaries are walking in and it looks like we're about to see the past living governors and lieutenant governors of New Jersey making their way in with the exception of Lt. Governor Janice Miller who is undergoing treatment for ovarian cancer they are being led in by outgoing governor Chris Dunn

They are being followed by members of the New Jersey State Legislature with the exception of their newly sworn in Assembly members for the 15th and 16th districts. 15th District assemblyman Adrian Wright is joining Rabbi Levi Weiss and Pattinson family priest Gavin Dawson in the invocation while his fellow assemblyman in the district Jesse Ivans chose to walk in alongside the Pattinson family as his wife is the governor-elect's sister Rory. 

16th District assemblymen Eric Kelly and Trey France also opted to walk in with the family. As we know, Eric Kelly succeeded his sister in the 16th district and we got news recently that his counterpart, Trey France is about to become a part of the family as he just got engaged to First Son, Dion Pattinson. 

Kofi and Zola enter

Announcer: Please welcome incoming Lt. Governor Kofi Jones and Second Lady, Dr. Zola Dolo-Jones.

Melissa (VO): We are now seeing Kofi Jones and his wife, Dr. Zola Dolo-Jones making their way in, escorted by two Girl Scouts from Riverside and one of them is the niece of the governor-elect's childhood friend.

 As we have seen the Girl Scouts as well as Boy Scouts have been a part of today's events serving as an honor guard of sorts. Their flags were led into the War Memorial alongside the US flag and the flag of New Jersey. The reasoning for this has a lot to do with both the Governor and Lt. Governor elect. Kofi Jones was a member of the Scouts when his family lived in England and joined Boy Scouts when they moved to the United States. His wife Zola Dolo-Jones was involved with Girl Scouts and is a Gold Award recipient. 

Governor-Elect Pattinson is also a Girl Scout alumna who is a past Gold Award recipient as are her two daughters, Katherine and Gráinne. Her late son, pediatric cancer advocate Ashton Pattinson was a Boy Scout who rose to the ranks of Eagle before his untimely death. Casey Pattinson is also the current national vice-president of the Girl Scouts and this May she will take on the role of national president when current president Liane Choi will assume her role as CEO of the organization.

Eric enters with the rest of the family.

Announcer: Please welcome the family of Governor-Elect Pattinson being led in by 15th District assemblyman Jesse Ivans and 16th district assemblymen, Dr. Eric Kelly and Treyton France. 

Melissa (VO): And now here's Eric Kelly leading in the family alongside his brother-in-law Jesse Ivans and his nephew Dion and his fiancé, Trey France. As we know Assemblyman Kelly and the governor-elect were always close and on election night he made a video message to her supporters in Riverside saying, "My supporters might have called themselves Team Kelly but we were really Team Pattinson all this time thanks to my sister."