Forty-One

The second they dropped I tried to avert my eyes, but I wasn't quick enough. A small gasp escaped my lips at the sight. Luckily he still had some cotton underwear on, but that didn't conceal the sheer girth of what lay beneath.

I tried to conceal my shock but failed, telling by the smirk on his face. His eyes darkened as he took in my shocked expression. He simply stalked toward the water and threw over his shoulder, "You coming?"

"I-I..." This was a man who had been nothing but kind to me. At least in our season of courting. Things were rough in the beginning, but I trusted him enough to partake. My hands shook as I slid my dress off. I had nothing but underwear on. No top, the dress provided me with the support I needed.

I laid the dress on the rug softly and padded toward him. The second my feet hit the water, I knew I would enjoy it. The overcast sun had provided the water with just a bit of heat and it felt divine.

He was far enough in that he was wading at his waist. I came and matched his distance, standing a step behind him. I kept my breasts in my hands and spoke, "You do know this is crazy, right?" He took another step and so did I, "I mean, what if someone sees us?"

We came to a place where we were chest deep and I released the tight grip I had on my breasts.

"What if." He laughed

I rolled my eyes and replied, "Well what now?"

He thought for a second, running his large hand across the water, disturbing its peace.

"Did you know, that as a vampire, you don't need to breathe?"

My brows furrowed and I looked at him incredulously, "What do you mean?"

"We breathe for a sense of smell, but we're already dead, so air isn't a necessity."

"Okay, why do you say tha-" He dunked his large head under the water. I waited and waited for him to resurface, but he didn't.

"August?" He didn't come up and he didn't reply. Although I did feel his hands. On my calves. Moving upward.

I felt my breath catch as his hands caressed my legs, moving to my thighs and beneath my bottom. I felt as he pressed a firm kiss to the spot just below my belly button and I would've burst into flames if we weren't in the water.

He then tugged, pulling me out from under my feet, and under the crystal clear water with him. I almost panicked, but realized that I didn't feel as though I was suffocating. I was simply existing. He pulled back and crossed his legs, sitting directly in front of me. I did the same, keeping my hands on my chest.

All of a sudden his voice was loud in my head, "See? It's quite peaceful down here."

I responded with a thought, "Yes, it is." The stones felt slightly slippery from algae and I saw a few tiny fish swimming nearby, but they scurried off when they noticed us.

We sat and talked like this for what felt like hours. It was incredibly peaceful, the sheer silence under there. I wanted to come back every day.

We talked about our likes and our dislikes, our fears and our dreams. We talked for so long, I didn't even realize I had let my hands fall. So there we lay, nearly naked and exposed, him in my head and me trying to push into his.

I knew it would take time to practice getting into his mind, as he was a King and probably had a very guarded mind.

We got to know each other that day, naked and exposed. We kissed and he held me. We watched the fish and the sun from below the surface. It was truly magical. I never wanted to leave.

There I lay with my head on his chest under the cool water of the glass lake. I had never felt more womanly, more safe, more content. I never wanted anything but him. The more I learned about him, the more I wanted.

I knew it was very soon, but I could see myself spending a good amount of my immortal life with him.