Forty-Nine

"I think the real question is, who are you?" He cocked his head and rose to his full height. He beat his wings and they were silent. Crossing the large fountain, he landed softly in front of me. He took another drag of his cigar before continuing, "And what happened to you?"

His eyes roamed all over my body from my shredded dress to my exposed skin and they lingered there. I didn't cower. I had learned by this point that men would do what they wanted, regardless of how women felt.

"It honestly doesn't matter much who I am. And I asked first." I crossed my arms across my chest and gave him a pointed look that very clearly said, proceed.

A small grin played on his perfect mouth and he took two steps toward me. I thought Augustus was tall. This man completely towered over me. My whole frame fit within his shadow that the white moonlight had cast. Amusement danced on his features and it suited him.

"That's incredibly mature of you, Davina." He held his hands behind his back, his cigar burning away, leaving a fine line of smoke in its wake. He circled me like a hawk stalking a mouse. I held my ground and raised my chin.

"I thought you didn't know who I was." I asked, playing his little game.

"Everyone knows of you. Everyone knows your name. The little King's prized show pony." I scowled in his direction, "I'm asking who you are. Who is Davina Lauriar?"

The truth was I had absolutely no idea. Although this night was a massive wake up call that I was not made for this role. I had never been very submissive, and I hated when people walked all over me. Plus, I was pissed at Augustus. And secretly glad that I encountered this man, as it distracted me from my panicking.

"Who's asking?" He returned to the front of me, an impressed expression covered his handsome, maskless face. His features were incredibly perfect. I didn't pick up on a single imperfection on his smooth skin.

He blew out smoke to the left of us and chuckled softly, placing his free hand in his pant pocket. The action opened his exquisite suit, revealing a row of unclasped buttons stopping just below his sternum. The skin there looked incredibly strong and soft. His muscles were neatly defined. I resisted the urge to reach out and run the tips of my fingers down his chest. I shook the thought. I was a committed woman after all and had no intention of being unfaithful.

"Ruffling the Alpha's fur was a fun little party trick, eh?" Laughter shone through his unusual eyes as he held mine.

"That man was incredibly full of himself. I'm glad Nargue set him straight before I did."

"Well, it's not like your little King would have let you off of your leash."

"Excuse me? I'm not being kept on a leash by anyone and to be completely honest the insinuation is incredibly insulting." I tightened my crossed arms and tried to look away from his eyes, but I couldn't. I fell into a trance.

His irises swirled slowly, an enticing pale against his stark black lashes. They illuminated slightly, so quick it was gone in a blink. He broke our eye contact, lifting his head straight. A darkly amused expression appeared. It happened so quickly it seemed like a mask appeared.

I blinked myself out of my trance, and turned on my heel to see what was at the receiving end of his humor. Augustus stood there.

His face contorted into anger as he took in my ruined dress. His hands shook in his fury.

"Roman." Augustus nearly snarled the name.

"Have you come to join us, little King? The party was just getting started." So his name was Roman, some big secret. I rolled my eyes at the reveal as well as his taunting sentence.

"Davina, what is going on here?" Augustus asked, his eyes full of betrayal. I had never seen him so guarded. I could feel his anger through my bones. His words were careful. What was he talking about?

My brows furrowed at the insinuation, "What?"

A line of smoke floated around my right shoulder and come between Augustus and I. How convenient. I had the desire to swipe it away but didn't.

"What can I say, she...seduced me." Roman purred. His voice was a sensual whisper in my left ear. I subconsciously lifted my shoulder and backed away from it. Not only because he had lost his fucking mind, but also because it shot down my spine, caressing my skin.

"What the fuck?" I spat. "I did nothing of the sort. Have you lost your mind?" Roman kept his amused expression. He turned to Augustus, lifting his hands in innocence.

"She approached me and started ripping her clothes off. I nearly gave into her feral desire. It was almost like she was...deprived."

My eyes widened in horror. What was he doing?

I rushed to Augustus, "I swear, I have no idea what he is talking about. That is absolutely insane. I'm with you! On top of that, I don't even know him!"

He backed away from me before I could grab his arm. I stopped immediately. I was hurt that he would think I would do something like that.

He surveyed my dress once more, "Your clothes are ripped in some pretty convenient places, Davina. Do not lie to me."

"I'm not lying to you, August. I came out here for some fresh air. I was panicking. I couldn't breathe in this thing." I said, gesturing to my gown. I fed off of his anger as I remembered the horrors I witnessed beforehand. "I was absolutely disgusted at what happened at dinner." I said the words through clenched teeth.

He looked at me confused, "What are you talking about?"