Forty-Three

My ribs protested as Camara tightened the corset for the fifth time. The two other women, Amelia and Zayma, touched up my makeup and kept messing with my hair. I was getting severely irritated and nervous at this point. I was tired of being poked and prodded and still couldn't help the memories of the auction that rushed to the surface.

Zayma nearly poked my eye out with the mascara and I had had enough. I threw my arms out in protest, wigging away from them.

"Okay! I've had enough. The dress is on, I've got makeup, hair and jewelry. I'm done. And I am serious." I gave Amelia an icy glare as she went to adjust a stray hair, "Just get the damn shoes. I'm ready." I demanded.

Camara tied the strings to my corset and took a step back. "I guess this will do, shoes Zayma?" The woman rushed them into Camara's hands and she bent down, slipping the black velvet kitten heels onto my feet.

I looked in the mirror and observed their work. I wanted to make sure it was up to my standards as well, despite never being asked what those standards were.

The dress was spectacular. A bit overdone if you asked me, but I recognized the beauty it possessed. It was as skin tight as it could be without suffocating me. Although the bottom came out slightly, creating a tail like effect. The deep emerald green was enticing. The strapless sweetheart neckline featured a deep V that stopped a few inches before my belly button. The body of the dress was, from what I could tell, a rich silk or satin. The dress featured a cape that connected at the back, hiding the lace up feature of the corset. The material was a thin but sturdy black tulle covered in gold butterflies and flowers. The vines and leaves on it added to the nature theme.

Given the masquerade theme, I also wore a matching mask. It was a beautiful gold and had floral details that stuck out of the right side. There were gold vines with similar butterflies and flowers as my dress. It was gorgeous and clearly real gold given the weight. Despite the party being silver themed, Augustus wanted us to make a statement in gold.

My hair was done up in a low and loose bun, allowing a few stray strands to come down and frame my face and the back of my neck. They had also given me a gorgeous golden hair pin dipped in jewels. As I stepped down and walked back for a better look in the mirror, I noticed how long the cape reached, and it had to have been a solid twenty feet.

The girls had given me a golden bracelet as well as a necklace, one that Augustus had left for me. A gift. An expensive one at that. I would treasure it all the same, but it felt so heavy on my chest, as though I was holding a year's earnings there. Which I might've been.

I admired their work in the mirror and thanked them. I told them I needed a minute to breathe. To prepare. Camara said I would get thirty seconds if I was lucky.

The second they shut the door I almost ripped the dress off. I was so anxious because I had no idea how I was to be introduced. August and I were an official couple here, but not to the other Royals. I hadn't even gotten a chance to speak to him, to ask if he wanted me to pretend like I was simply another guest, or to be on his arm. That was pretty vital information considering the amount of power down in the ballroom.

On top of that I felt horribly exposed. The strapless top of the gown left my shoulders, arms, and chest exposed. The tightness of the corset pressed and secured my breasts, causing them to be quite apparent. I honestly felt like a whore. And I hated that. I looked at the dress once more, taking a deep breath, the material restricting my movements. I thought, fuck it, I wasn't going. But then there was a knock at the door.

Camara yelled through the door, "It's time," and my heart sunk.

A guard opened the door and my mouth ran dry. Augustus stood there. His suit perfectly coordinated with mine. His suit jacket featured golden buttons as well as a delicate floral detail, the same as my dress. The suit itself was the same emerald green as my attire. The button up underneath was an iridescent gold to match the buttons. He looked mouthwatering. His long hair was perfectly groomed, obviously freshly trimmed, as well as his beard. His head was donned with a breathtaking golden crown. There were blood rubies embedded in the frame. His beautiful face was covered with a matching mask. The heavy gold fitted to his face perfectly. He looked exquisite.

He held his hand out for me and after a moment I grabbed it. My stomach was flipping and I felt uneasy. I think he could tell because he gently rubbed my hand with his thumb. We made our way down the hall with an escort of two guards on each side of us. We took the stairs and Augustus made sure to help me when I nearly fell. We finally made it to the doors to enter the ballroom. People were being announced and entering with their partners.

I was so anxious that I would fall down the stairs on my face. I tried to take deeper breaths, the action calming my nerves slightly. It was clear that I was being introduced as Augustus' suitor. It was a stressful thing given the fact that I was merely an orphan. I had nothing to offer the kingdom. August put some of my nerves at ease and told me I could embellish the minor details if it made me more comfortable.

The announcer then spoke, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to King Augustus of WarHaven and his Lady Davina." My mouth ran dry as we approached the doors. They opened simultaneously as we came to the top of a grand staircase. A hot spotlight was aimed at us and I nearly ran.