Forty-Four

The amount of people in the ballroom was gut wrenching. I thought I was petrified before. Everyone's attention was on us at the top of the staircase. Augustus was a natural, me on the other hand...

August started ahead, the polite cheers filled the room, but I didn't miss the whispers. I thought I was on the verge of a panic attack. I squeezed his arm lightly and tried to focus on taking one step at a time. I didn't know how obvious it was that I had no idea how to behave around important people. And I didn't want to embarrass Augustus. There was much riding on the evening going well.

We made our way down and into the crowd. I let myself observe the guests as they parted for us. The men were simply mouthwatering. Although no one outshone Augustus, I didn't miss how devilishly handsome the guests were. Their suits were pristine, not a thread, not a hair out of place.

The women, they were devastating. Beautiful. Their dresses complimented their male suitors exceptionally well. Everyone had hit the theme perfectly. Their dresses provided joyful pops of color throughout the crowd. There had been massive ballgowns of soft, striking pinks and reds, mimicking the spring flowers. Some were purple and blue, representing, I assumed, the flowers that would bloom in the dead of winter. The bright yellows and oranges looked incredibly striking against the dark decor. I assumed that was the point.

The nature elements of the attire were stunning. They trickled throughout everyone's outfits. There were flowers, birds, vines, and branches to match perfectly with the suits and the dresses. They all hit the theme spot on, which was to be expected.

The decor provided a perfect backdrop. It represented a dark forest with the greens and browns. I hadn't known they would add a massive wooden chandelier, but it complimented the theme like icing on cake. I looked around, searching for a familiar face to help calm my nerves. An anchor in the storm. Everyone wore a mask, so it was quite difficult to recognize anyone. I finally spotted Sebastian to the left of the throne. His small smile put some of my nerves at ease.

We approached the throne and ascended the stairs. It was just a few, and I couldn't be more glad that we were done with the stairs for a while. Augustus took the throne and I was left standing to the right of him. I wasn't expecting to have a throne, but I at least expected a chair. I tried to let it roll off my shoulders, he was the King after all.

There were smaller thrones, a few feet behind Augustus' on each side. Each throne held a less ornate crown than the one atop King Augustus' head. I assumed this was for his royal siblings. And I was right.

The announcer started again, " Please join me in welcoming Marcel, Prince of WarHaven."

Marcel made his way down the stairs. His outfit perfectly represented flames in the sun. Strong reds and oranges swirled and blended together to create a beautiful sunset effect. He had a thick white cape. It was a wonderful representation of warm sun rays beating down on snow capped mountains. His feet boomed as he walked across the black marble floor.

He made his way to his seat, the throne to the left of August's. The Prince of WarHaven. He lived up to his title, and telling by the stillness in the room, everyone knew of the great warrior he had become. I could tell by his stoic expression that he was subtly scoping the room for potential threats.

He placed his heavy crown on top of his head. It was simply gold and much less grand than Augustus'. I noted that gold accents covered his attire. Clearly Augustus and I would not be the only ones in gold, as he had previously represented.

The last person to be introduced was, "Nargue, the Princess of WarHaven. Also known as Server of Justice."

I was sure she was behind the last part. Quite theatrical, which was exactly her style. She took each step with care. She wore nothing but silk. It was a softer green, but complemented her dark skin fabulously. She had her hair braided into two straight back large braids. She had added gold into her long braids.

She had leaves and vines painted on her dark skin with a thick gold paint. They covered her thighs and arms, wrapping around her strong biceps. Even her mask was painted on. It was a unique and delicate design, then brushstrokes. Her dress was simple strips of green silk that barely covered her assets. She eventually approached the throne, taking her seat and placing the crown atop her head. It was a more feminine version of Marcellus'. Guests made their way to their tables and took their seats as August rose before them.

" Good evening my beautiful friends. Thank you for joining my family and I in celebrating the annual Factional Unity Celebration. Our unity is how we thrive and I thank everyone who has come to our aid after the War. Your time, resources, and care mean the world to us," many men in the crowd raised their glasses to that, and in response, Augustus offered them a friendly bow.

He continued, "We have an eventful evening, filled with music, food, dancing, and...drinks." He threw the crowd a wink and they cheered in response. I assumed he was referring to the champagne and blood currently being served to those who drank it.

. "All right, please let any member of my staff know if you need anything or have any specific... requests for our feast tonight. Thank you again."

The crowd cheered as the musicians kicked up once more. They played a quick dancing tune and many guests made their way to the large dance floor. Men and women partnered up and began to dance in unison. It was incredibly enticing. And overwhelming.

August and I had practiced for weeks and I wasn't very confident in my skill set while performing in front of several royal members. As well as the WarHaven Council members who were currently seated closest to the throne. The older folks looked bored, although some seem to be enjoying the festivities.

Augustus looked at me and smiled, his shoulders relaxing a bit as he grabbed my hand, pulling me to the crowded dance floor.