Forty-Six

"What did I say?" I felt worry cover my features as I sifted through the conversation, trying to find what I had said that might've been offensive.

He scratched the back of his neck out of nervousness, "Well, it wasn't what you said, it was more of what you did." My confusion worsened and I felt my stomach hollow out. I prayed to God that I hadn't offended them. The last thing I wanted to do was complicate an alliance or friendship that Augustus or his family had honored for centuries.

"What did I do?" My voice had nearly left me and I didnt want to ask in the first place, but I needed to know to avoid it in the future.

August cleared his throat and met my eyes, "It's considered very disrespectful for someone to speak for a King, especially a woman...it's very taboo." He looked so awkward while he explained, I could see that he was trying his best not to offend me.

"Oh. Well I assumed it was alright due to the fact that Halona did. I misread the situation I assume."

"Well, Nitis is mute. He cannot speak. The only reason it is widely accepted is because it is for communicative purposes and due to the fact that Halona and Nitis are mates. It's a very unique situation. People would feel uncomfortable if it was anyone but his mate."

"And we are not mates...?" My voice had fallen once more and I felt mortified. Not only had I potentially embarrassed Augustus, I had also assumed that he and I were mates. I didn't know much about mates, but I just assumed that's what we were due to the nature of our relationship.

"Sometimes mating bonds can take a while to snap into place. We haven't spent much time together the last week or so and that definitely isn't helping." He took a deep sigh and surveyed the crowd, his eyes landing on a couple that seemed to glide through the crowd. They were headed right to us. "Don't worry about it, love. We'll get there." He smiled softly as the couple approached. I tried to push it to the back of my mind but noted that it definitely needed to be addressed later on. He didn't seem too severely concerned, so I took ease in that.

The couple that approached were quite eccentric. They both donned thin robes. They were a deep brown color and seemed to carry a bit of a red tone. They were covered with small crystals of different soft shades. They had bracelets, layered necklaces and earrings. The man wore a taller metal crown that was decorated with many different stones. His eyes were a beautiful blue and he smiled kindly at both of us.

The woman's attire was very similar, aside from the plunging neckline that split her small breasts. She had a beautiful tattoo of a tree in the center of her chest. She had layers of necklaces that held stones and pressed medallions hanging from her long neck. The colors popped against her pale skin.

The man had shaggy auburn hair. The woman wore two messy braids that reached her waist. Her hair was a striking blonde. The braids had strings and shells weaved throughout. She was truly beautiful. Her crown sat on the halo of her head. A single stone hanging from the metal in the middle of her freckled forehead. The man was handsome, but I didn't feel any real attraction toward him.

I observed them as they got closer and realized that they truly were gliding. There was fine mist that pooled around their sandals. It held them an inch or two off the black marble. Witches. They came to a rest, lowering to the cold ground as they stopped in front of us, bowing as we returned the respectful gesture.

"August! How are you, lad?" The man had a thick accent I had never encountered. It was fascinating to hear him speak, trying to decipher the similar slang.

"Hello Atticus, how are you? How are the children?" August looked so excited to see his old friends and seemed genuinely curious about the mysterious children.

"They are great. Their power grows every day. It is truly fascinating to see what they are becoming over the years. A true blessing." Atticus replied. I saw his face light up as he thought of his little ones back home. It was endearing. "In fact, my beautiful mate is expecting! Thank you for inviting us, we've been dying to share the good news."

The woman to the left of him pressed her hand to her tiny bump, rubbing it gingerly.

"How exciting. Congratulations. How are you feeling, Liomara?" She smiled a smile that seemed nothing but maternal and looked down at her small bump.

"I am slightly nervous, but ecstatic to welcome another little one." She was so beautiful, her green eyes nearly began to glow as she stared down at her full womb.

She looked back up, making direct eye contact with me. "August, my friend, who is this beauty?" She turned to him, waiting for him to introduce the two of us.

His proud smile reappeared and he gestured to me to introduce myself.

"Hello, my name is Davina." I had no idea what else to add. I was a newly made vampire? I was an orphan? I had never done this much socializing and it was starting to wear on me.

She gave me a sweet smile and replied, "Hello Davina." She turned to August and said, "I like her."

This pulled a laugh from all of us. I liked her too. I even let my mind wander, imagining a blossoming friendship between the witch and myself.

"Me too." Another round of laughter ensued and we said our goodbyes.

"What lovely people they were. You never told me you had such wonderful friends, Gus." He gave me a small nervous smile and replied, "That's because they aren't all nice."