Interrogation

Chapter Nine

We were lucky for our reactions. Even though our pause felt like forever in a sense, it was only a slight hesitation to the humans. They wouldn't question it either; they would react the same way if they had to approach three intimidating and unworldly beautiful teenagers.

"Boys, just sit them in the front here, and leave some space in between each spot," Miss Kott further instructed. Emmett and Jasper barely nodded; their golden eyes were solely focused on me and their expressions were screaming confusion, shock, and even a bit of fear. They did as they were told and dropped the stools in their places. Emmett, still burly and huge as ever, set the two he had up for Evie and Noah while Jasper stalked toward me. He bent over slightly, getting in direct line of vision with me as he positioned the stool up right.

"Bella," he whispered the silent noise nonexistent to the teacher who stood barely three feet away from me. I didn't know what to do so I merely inched my head to the right, giving him a curious look. His expression changed to being slightly amused before he joined Emmett's side and walked back to their seats. His reaction pissed me off; he thought joking was alright?

Against my better judgment, I broke one of Aro's most sacred personal rules: I acted on my emotions and pushed my shield forward, only to slam it against his back. Jasper Hale jumped and spun around, startled by the sudden outburst of power. I let my shield come down, letting the anger I felt seep out and wrap around him. His golden eyes widened as he sat down, and I could only imagine the look that was on my face.

From the corner of my right eye, I could see the startled glances of my children. Because they were my kids, they could feel what I felt; there was some kind of weird ass connection between us and they knew exactly what I had done.

What the hell is wrong with you, mom? Noah's worried tone was. Normally I would scold him for those words but I understood. I was acting out among humans. He didn't understand though; he didn't know what it was like to see them, two people from the family that nearly ruined my life.

When I glanced at Evie though, I automatically knew that she knew as well. She was staring at Jasper and Emmett with such a fierce look. Had she not had prestige control over her emotions, I could only imagine seeing her push her way through the humans and going for their necks. She might be a sweet girl but my baby was a lioness at heart.

"Now let's begin," said the teacher uncomfortably. Maybe she was a sensitive human; there were a few who could go beyond their own species and touch other waves of tension. I thought I was one when I still had a heartbeat. "The three of you will introduce yourself, and then the class will do so. Afterward, each classmate will ask you a question. Though only you three will answer aloud, the rest of the class will write their answers down on a blank sheet of paper. Sound good?"

I nodded, as did my kids and the rest of the class. Miss Kott nodded and walked toward Evie. Placing her hand on my daughter's shoulder, I watched her flinch from the change of temperature. While my internal temperature was colder than ice, Evie and Noah were like Jacob. They were hotter than the normal human body; from what the scientists had told Aro, it had something to do with how their genome was constructed.

"You can start dear," the teacher said. Her voice wavered as she tried to subtly remove her hand from Evie's skin. Evie didn't even notice. Her eyes were still trained on the boys.

"Do I just say my name?"

"And a little bit about you would be nice. Like age, hobbies, something interesting."

Evie nodded and stood. She didn't look away from the Cullen boys until a second before she spoke. "Okay well... My name is Evangeline Swan. The three of us are triplets; we're seventeen, though I'm the youngest. We're from Italy and live here now with our older brothers and sister. I prefer artistic hobbies over anything else, and I'm very, very protective of my family. I don't stand for any trouble that comes to them."