Reality

Chapter Fifteen

Rosalie’s POV

            “By the way… Rosalie?” Bella called as I got out of her car. I bent down and peered into the dimly lit beauty at my newfound friend. Bella’s expression was nervous and I could tell she was hesitant to ask her question.

            “Yes Bella?” I pressed, eager to know her thoughts. God only knows, she had a lot of them at the moment.

            “You said the rest of Cullens are in New Hampshire… why isn’t Jasper and Alice together? I’ve never knew they could be so far away from each other,” Bella whispered. I was glad she did. I could only imagine what Jasper would think if he heard her. Though he says he is fine, that he is perfectly okay without her, I know it still hurts him. He was in pain, just like Bella.

            I smiled sadly and got back in the car, closing the door tightly behind me. She watched me curiously until I started to explain. I seemed to be doing that a lot tonight.

            “Alice… well, after everything went down with Edward and you, she started to question some things. She left us for a while…left Jasper. She said she needed to make sure she was alright, because her visions weren’t adding up; that confusion was from her prophecy about Edward and you not coming through. She was gone for about a half of year, same time Edward left us. It nearly tore the whole family apart.”

            Bella’s eyes widened as she leaned back in her seat. “Alice left the Cullens? Is she… is she alive?”

            I shook my head to answer. I should have known she would have assumed that. “Alice is perfectly well and happy now. It turns out that the pull between Jasper and Alice weren’t of the mating variety. They were simply lovers. When Alice left, she returned with a man. They were madly in love; he was her true mate, like Emmett and I, or Carlisle and Esme.”

            “Jesus,” Bella whispered her tone husky and breathless.

            “Yeah, exactly my thoughts when they came back. Poor Jasper though,” I tsked. “That poor man has gone through hell in his life. I know Alice didn’t mean to hurt him. She even debated leaving completely but he wouldn’t let her. I think we’re all still shocked he hasn’t tipped the ledge.”

            Bella ran her hands through her hair, sighing quietly. “Well, I feel like a bitch,” she muttered. “When did this happen?”

            “Not much later after we left you,” I answered. “Don’t feel bad though. You didn’t know; it’s not like you could have known. You haven’t exactly talked to Jasper, either.”

            Bella bit her lip and looked down at her hands, twiddling her thumbs hesitantly and worriedly. It was such a humane act for a vampire, but then again it was Bella. She was never normal as a human so why should I expect her to be a normal vampire? That was just silly.

            “You have my phone number and what not. If he wants to talk, I guess just tell him to give me a call,” she said quietly. I tilted my head and nudged her arm. When she looked up at me with those big red eyes, a slightly disorienting feature, mind you, I smiled gently.

            “Are you on your way to forgiving him, Bella?”

            Bella narrowed her eyes at me; I could tell by the thoughtful expression behind the glare that she was remembering our hours long talk. I knew that some of the family was beyond hope. They had cut her heart to pieces and burned the remains to nothing but ash. But him… maybe it was different. Maybe she would bond with him over this. God only knows, they both need it.