Discussion

"Son of a bitch," Jasper hissed from behind me. I hadn't been aware he was that close to me. "We need to get you out of here, now. They probably already know we are here."

I shook my head as I continued to stare at the photos. "Doesn't matter. They know where I am and they haven't killed me. Yet. They're waiting for something, obviously...they've had enough chances to attack when I was alone but they didn't."

"Bella, that doesn't mean–"

"No!" I snapped, silencing him in a half of a second. I glared at him over my shoulder. "We need to clear this place out, take whatever they have. It could be useful; it could tell us who she is. We don't leave anything behind."

He just stared down at me, his fiery golden eyes burning. I hadn't even noticed the color shift. At least that meant Evie was far enough away, and therefore so was Noah. Good. They shouldn't be anywhere close to this place.

"We gather any evidence from this room, and then we tear it down. Go set the alarms off. They should still work if they have enough power to have all of the speakers.

Jasper looked like he wanted to argue but he didn't stay anything else. After disappearing for a second, he brought back several plastic bags from the first room and then ran back out of the room. A few moments later, the music was cut and a loud siren pierced the air. Screams were drowned out from it and I could hear the mass of people trying to exit.

"Thank god we parked a decent distance away," he muttered once he was back in the room. "It would take forever to get out of here. They're all fried in the head."

I just nodded and finished packaging everything up. I wasn't even sure half of it was from them but I wasn't going to miss any clues, not in the scatterbrained state I was in. For all I knew, I might be too upset to even read right.

Was that even possible for a vampire? I sounded more like my human self than I had in a long time.

"Bella."

Jasper laid a gentle hand on my arm, pulling me from my musings and forcing me to look up. He was equally as upset but I could tell he was trying to wash me in waves of calm. I let him, needing the extra emotional support, and wondered how long I had him in my shield without even recognizing the sense of extra company.

"Go get your car. We got everything we could need from here, unless you want the pictures, too... I'll take care of the rest, darlin'."

I didn't want to have him do it. This was my job, my duty since the Volturi had changed me; I had destroyed and blown up enough buildings in my years. In fact, I enjoyed every one of them. Once I became basically indestructible, I learned just how much of a pyromaniac I truly was. Thank god I didn't realize that as a human or I would have never made it this far.

Not to mention, poor Charlie. He had enough to deal with.

I nodded again, one short jerk of the head, and took our bags of paperwork. As I dashed down the steps from the balcony, I avoided all of the humans by going out the back door. They had jammed up the front entrances in a panic and though it would be easy to get through all of them, I couldn't do it without causing a scene. So, the back alley it was, and out I went.

Part of me didn't want to get my car because that meant doing it alone. Alone meant thoughts, no distractions, nothing. I couldn't even call my children for the fear of being watched. I could text them but that would do nothing to calm me down.

Words on a screen were nothing compared to my children's voices.

So it was just me and my thoughts. Though he was a topic of my least worries, Jasper was the safest to focus on. His pet name, a word with a twinge of his natural southern accent, rang in my head like church bells. Every single touch from the night, from how he held my hand or touched my arm to the way he handled my body during our short dance... I had never felt like that with anyone. Not even Demetri, who was the closest man I had gotten to, brought that emotion back.